walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach, Dundonnell

An Teallach, Dundonnell

Postby chaserjay » Sun May 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 23/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Setting out, the forecast was to be good. On arrival, the mist was very low, but it was clammy morning, so hopefully it would burn off.
Within 10minutes I was burning off, and unzipping the detachable bottom halves of my mountain breeks. I noticed that there was an L and an R tag to inform when reconnecting the trousers together, I had never noticed that before and realised not noticing had cost me much time in wrongly attempting the big re- zipping. I reckon maybe as much as three Munro ascents worth of zany zip zapping.
There was a large group of men behind me , I could not see them, but heard them, less and less as I marched ahead into the gloop. The sun so wanted to take its hat off, but kept putting back on its sewester.
IMGP1795.JPG

It eventually lifted whilst I corn-beefed it on a flat rock on the wide open Col. The mens group came into sight and they stopped a quarter mile back and going by their accent they would probably be biled egging and tomatoing it.

I moved on , looking back to see the returning mist engulfing the troops like a dust cloud from a terrorist attack! Maybe not. Like the devils cold breath condensating around them. Maybe not. Like what mist does when it engulfs folk.

I stopped to take some photographs of wild goats and exchange greetings. Apparently, the goats had walked An Teallach hunners of times, and didn't make a big deal out of it. Fair comment.

It was soon pea soup vision again and I stopped at one point to listen and heard voices close by. They were second guessing too, but heading down, they were following some sort of path, when it was quiet again I headed towards that point .
As I ascended, an Eagle flew above me to my left and only yards from me. A friend, Gordon Frew, had only just related a story, the previous evening of how he and his brother, Ian, had been on the hill some years ago and a similar event took place. In the thick mist it was eerie, but somehow reassuring, as the bird of affirmation came down to me twice more.
I reached a top and to my left the mist lifted , for a minute at least, and my predatory friend, again, soared up from its rocky cluster once more. The mist encapsulated, but I saw the true path in that clear glimpse.

At the summit, the views were nil, and I waited a while to see if it would lift, it didn't, I wanted so much to traverse the ridge, but my instincts advised otherwise.
I descended, and halfway back, I emerged to blue skies and sunshine beating down. I looked back to the top.

Another day, I shall hold you sweet An Teallach, another day.
Attachments
IMGP1808.JPG
IMGP1806.JPG
Last edited by chaserjay on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
chaserjay
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   

Re: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Postby ianaird » Sun May 23, 2010 9:39 pm

hmm similar problem up the three brothers on Saturday, managed the ridge but zero views...
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby monty » Mon May 24, 2010 9:01 am

Funny little report Chaserjay. I enjoyed reading it.

I stopped to take some photographs of wild goats and exchange greetings. Apparently, the goats had walked An Teallach hunners of times, and didn't make a big deal out of it. Fair comment.

Them goats were saying "look at that human, he thinks he is a goat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "

I would not fo anywhere near this beauty unless it was brill sunshine. good effort though. :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Second that about not doing An Teallach in bad weather - you really need to see it - it's spectacular!
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland