walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

School of hard Cnocs - a cautionary tale

School of hard Cnocs - a cautionary tale

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:56 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cnoc Coinnich

Date walked: 16/01/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I never thought I'd be writing such a piece. Indeed, for a while today I wondered whether to do so but I write this in order for those to perhaps digest and take care on the hill in Winter, no matter how experienced. 2.5 weeks ago I became a dad to a wonderful wee girl called Martha. It's been a blur and sleep deprivation is top of the agenda at the moment. However, I had been working extra hard in the house and at being a dad, as well as supporting my wife. As such, my wife suggested a wee hill would be good for my soul. Bonzer! I had earmarked today and the evening forecast looked good. Lesson 1 - if the weather is worse than forecast, consider whether it's still a good idea. As I drove along the Loch Lomond road, the snow was really dinging it doon. It had been 2 months since a quick pad up Geallaig and I was really missing the solitude and peace of the hill which perhaps meant I wasn't thinking straight. That coupled with sleep deprivation meant that decision-making would be challenged.

As I drove along the Ardgartan road, a tree had fallen across but the branches were small enough, that I could break and continue. A sign? I set off in the snow and started the trek up from Coilessan Glen. Sign 2 - another much larger tree was obstructing the land rover track but I diverted and continued. The higher I climbed, the better I felt and once on to the plateau between Cnoc Coinnich and the Brack, the views opened up. Error of the day - the book says continue on until past the crags before double backing SW and heading up the broad ridge - as the snow was quite deep by now, I decided I would make for a small crag, which appeared to have a straightforward enough climb. The snow here was firm and made for good going but as I climbed up the crag, the snow had hardened to the point where kicking steps was having less of an effect. With ice axe in hand I was ensuring what I thought was a good support but as I turned around to see the way down, my feet gave way and no matter how I flailed and cursed and attempted to apply an ice axe arrest, I was sliding down the slope uncontrollably. I was in fresh air and landed on my arse and face at the same time (is that even possible?) about 10 feet over a lip. I stopped a few feet further down. The impact was quite sore but I was conscious and gingerly stood up feeling no bones broken. 'F***ing Idiot' I shouted. I looked back and estimated a fall of about 30 feet from the initial slip. My nose felt sore and I had a cut above my eye.

I sat down and considered what had just happened. Had I slid a couple of feet to the right, I would have careered down another ledge, most likely adding another 30-40 ft to my fall. I doubt I would have been so lucky. I think I'm probably more use to my wife and newborn, alive than injured or dead and with that I decided today was enough. Indeed, I promised my wife when I returned home that I wouldn't step on the hill until April (no guarantees of a winter's end then of course).

The whole experience was chastening. I consider myself quite experienced and have been out numerous times in such conditions. However, I was guilty of being too complacent and made a poor decision. You learn more from failures than successes and in that respect, I hope this is of some help to others. I don't expect positive responses but I do hope it goes to show that it's not just the Munros where hill-sense is paramount. When I got home, I realised how blessed I was although one's hooter has swollen to the point where I'm nae such a good-looking loon.
IMG_0057.JPG
Fallen tree en route
IMG_0062.JPG
looking west over to Lochgoilhead hills
IMG_0063.JPG
The Brack
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: School of hard Cnocs - a cautionary tale

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:19 pm

First things first and congratulations on becoming a proud dad to Martha. :clap: But all of us who've been there know about the sleep deprivation and how keen you'd be to get out. Well done on your honest report... that sounded frightening but thankfully you're okay apart from a swollen nose and nothing a few extra baby cuddles won't sort! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mgmt! » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:50 pm

The whole experience was chastening. I consider myself quite experienced and have been out numerous times in such conditions. However, I was guilty of being too complacent and made a poor decision. You learn more from failures than successes and in that respect, I hope this is of some help to others. I don't expect positive responses but I do hope it goes to show that it's not just the Munros where hill-sense is paramount. When I got home, I realised how blessed I was although one's hooter has swollen to the point where I'm nae such a good-looking loon.

im glad youre ok kev and much respect for writing up this report. your not the first and certainly wont be the last to be a bit complacent or make a mistake on the hill, and im sure you will learn from this. walking in winter can be testing at times and not to be treated lightly, no matter what height your hill is. i hope this report highlights to people to be careful, learn the skills needed for winter and practise these skills as often as possible.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Totally agree there.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby tina bonar » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:49 pm

Congrats on the new addition to the family Kev
:clap:
Noticed you hadn't tweeted in a while, alles klar as they say somewhere :wink:
Look after yourself mannie,
Barrie
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Aye been there done it and hopefully j have learned , funnily enough did my nose as well :wink: . Glad you are fine and congratulations on the new arrival :)

Life is a risk wherever you take it , mind that and keep enjoying the hill .
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:52 pm

First of congratulations to you & your good lady on becoming parents for the first time.

Second glad to hear you are ok.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Tomsie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Glad you got off safely with just a small bump.

Turned nasty on the Campsies today just after 14.00
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:18 pm

well done for posting ,you could be like a gambler not telling of his losses and kept that to yourself. and congrats on fatherhood
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 pm

MAny thanks folks. I'm sure ill sleep tonight, bairn notwithstanding.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:11 am

Congratulations on the new baby and thanks for reminding us we're all human and falling hurts :? :? Glad you're OK
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Congratulations to both of you on your new arrival :clap:

A timely reminder, something that can happen to any of us. Thanks for being so honest and glad to hear you were OK in the end - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:47 pm

When I had young kids, I had only climbed one Munro, in the summer and up a gentle incline. All the other hills looked pretty precipitous from the road and terrified me. I spent every single hour husband was late alternating between worry, terror and fury imagining he had knocked himself out, was crawling home with a broken leg or worse. Pre-mobile phones, I just had to wait until he reappeared. Once he was 5 hours late as he met some guys who would give him a lift from the far end of the 5 sisters., If I had known he had done anything like you I would have been checking the life insurance policies. Hope your partner has recovered.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:02 am

And I hope the bump is going down, and congrats on choosing such a lovely name for the baby.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:54 am

Congrats on the new arrival, at least you bashed your beak doing something worthwhile, all my facial injuries came from chasing a ball round a pitch in the past :shock: Thanks for posting, one can become complacent very easily and your report will hopefully help us remember the dangers we face :clap:
All the best
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland