walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a'Gheoidh, the long way round

Carn a'Gheoidh, the long way round

Postby AngusCheyne » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Carn a'Gheoidh

Date walked: 11/01/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was intending heading back up Glen Shee again this week, but snow gates were closed.

Decided to head up anyway, park at the Spittal and do something from there.

Studying the map, I could see that I could still target a Munro, with a scenic route; Carn a'Gheoidh via Gleann Taitneach.

Looked like reasonable paths for most of the way.

Headed in through the access to Glenlochsie Farm.

Snow was at around 2 inches most of the way on the tracks. Followed signs to the bridge over Allt Ghlinn Thaitneich.

Walking was getting trickier, poles were helping big time. Carried on up glen till line of trees bordering Allt Aulich became evident.

Headed up the hillside, to follow burn to source. I was calculating that, still a bit rusty, this would give easy navigation (proved spot on in the end).

Walking was now tough, drifts of 2 feet causing issues. I am learning to navigate the route better by looking at undergrowth patterns, assessing prevailing winds (drifts are down wind of these) and keeping high to avoid burn cuttings.

Took a bearing from tip of burn which took me into the clouds up the corrie back and directly to cairn at Carn a Gheoidh. Yet another successful bearing, my confidence is growing

Different from last week! Not a sole in sight.

Didn't hang about, literally retraced my, filling in, steps all the way back to Gleann Taitneach. Following my tracks gave me a slight sense of security, I was well aware of the remoteness of my location, and thoroughly poor conditions (it was now snowing quite heavily).

Stomped back on the path, keeping to the side of Ben Gulabin this time and arrived back at the north side of the military bridge at a frozen and snowed in car (it's ok, it's an Izusu trooper ).

That, for me at this stage, was epic, roll on next week.

Looking back up Gleann Taitneach; can you make anything out?
Attachments
Gleann Taitneach 11th Jan 15.jpg
AngusCheyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Carn a'Gheoidh, the long way round

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi Angus, super navigation there, in those conditions! :thumbup:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:4
Grahams:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Carn a'Gheoidh, the long way round

Postby AngusCheyne » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi Silverhills,

Thanks for that, if you read my blog postings, you will see I got a right fright earlier in the year when I got lost.

I am slowly building my confidence back up now :)
AngusCheyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland