walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie via Loch Turret

Ben Chonzie via Loch Turret

Postby seamus0 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 23/05/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Once in Crieff, take the road to "The Famous Grouse Experience". Pass the distillery and continue up the road until it splits to a Y-Junction. Take the left road, (should be a sign for Loch Turret). This road leads to the car park at Loch Turret which has plenty of space (821265). From here there are various options to get up to Ben Chonzie. I chose taking the track on the eastern side of the Loch. This runs for 5km or so and dwindles away at lochan Uaine. If you're feeling fit, take your trainers. you can easily jog it, to stop tedium setting in ! As you approach the lochan, you can see the bealach between Ben Chonzie and Biorach a' Mheannain. It looks worse than it really is, and has no exposure.
P5232326.JPG
Bealach

Watch out for the wildlife. I saw loads on toads on the path.
P5232332.JPG
Mr Toad!

You can easily head straight up this in no time to arrive at the col. once there most of your work is done. You get good views of the loch, and the distant hills.
P5232334.JPG
Loch Turret and Lochan Uaine

Start the steady climb SW up the broad ridge of Ben Chonzie. You can follow a fence that should lead you close to the summit. you can see good views from here.
P5232337.JPG
Summit

P5232338.JPG
Route back from Summit

From the summit, i headed south, initially going down then ending up in a grassy plateau. this quickly turns into a heathery bog. Hares and hare tracks are in abundance. i saw several skipping around.
P5232339.JPG
Mr Hare!

I eventually found a path following a fence after 1/2 hour. I suspect if you head SW from the summit then south, you will probably pick this path up earlier, and probably make easier going !
Go past Meall na Seide, and head towards Carn Chois. Climb the summit, to see a Trig Point.
P5232349.JPG
Carn Chois Trig Point

In good weather, you can see a path heading in a SE direction. This will take you down the slopes to meet a track which leads back to the car park. I also saw a pair of kites here. Be wary not to go too far east from Carn Chois, as the crags look dicey! This route back doesnt seem to be popular. I didnt see anyone. However the route from Glen Lednock seemed busy!
P5232361.JPG
Loch Turret Start

Ignore anyone who says this is the most boring munro! walking (or running some of it!) it this route, makes for a fine interesting 1/2 day walk, with plenty of wildlife. Doing it in fine weather is a bonus!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:2

Re: Ben Chonzie via Loch Turret

Postby monty » Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Nice pictures and a nice report Seamus.. I thought it was quite straight forward and a bit boring but each to his own. Looks like a nice climb from the Beallach. :D
monty

Postby nathan79 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm envious of the weather you got. I did it via Glen Lednock on May 1st and braved low visibility, icy winds and snow. I need to get round to doing a walk report.

I was up at Loch Turret in mid-April and there were massive piles of spawn to be seen, so i'm not surprised there were plenty of toads.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:101   Corbetts:29
Grahams:13   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   Islands:5

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 26, 2010 2:58 am

That was exactly the route I took - but I did find a path all the way from Chonzie along the ridge from what I remember. I then slept in the car up at the carpark - was pretty cold at that height! But I enjoyed the walk and was lucky with the weather too. Love that hare pic - totally in context - think I prefer that to close-ups - he looks really alert doesn't he? :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland