walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back on The Hills

Back on The Hills

Postby Jockstar » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:44 am

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie

Date walked: 18/01/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1775m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:D
It was thanks to my walking friends, Val and Bod McLean and Wullie Duncan that saw me getting picked up from Kinnesswood to get back on the hills after a 2 year absence to arrive at Dollar for a masterclass of navigation using map and compass. Once the greetings had been warmly done then it was off up to Castle Campbell. I had passed that way looking up at that castle for more than 7 years on my way to work but this time it was to actually be at The Castle to begin our walk with a lot of snow all around the Ochils.....just beautiful! So we set of to reach Saddle Hill using map and compass and timings on each part of the hill. Once on the bealach we made our way towards Whitewisp Hill. It was blowing pretty strongly when we reached the 643 high point and moved on towards Innerdownie and the cairn. There was what used to be a shelter there and would give a bit of shelter from the wind. We then tracked back for a short time before taking the snowy path through the growing trees. Unusually there was different types of trees planted rather than the usual pine. We could see Glenquey Reservior and followed the track (probably an ancient track for taking cattle to market in perhaps Crieff). From there it was a straightforward walk passing Maiden Castle (a large grassed mound) and ending up back to Castle Campbell. Great day and good refresher of map and Compass.
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Back on The Hills

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:49 pm

good to see you're back out again and getting well looked after :thumbup: - cheers :)
Last edited by rockhopper on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland