walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunset over Ptarmigan ridge on Ben Lomond

Sunset over Ptarmigan ridge on Ben Lomond

Postby AlexFrood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:59 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 18/01/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was not the Mountain we were planning for, We set off early in the morning for Ben Chonzie and we almost made it but the final 4 miles of road were ice & snow. I gave it my best shot in the van wearing it snow socks. but after getting stuck and wrecking a snowsock we gave up. But we discussed options and decided upon Ben Lomond via Ptarmigan ridge.

By the time we got to the car park for Ben Lomond it was about half two. So it looked like we would be summiting for sunset which was going to be pretty cool on a blue sky day.

So then, myself and my walking partner set off up that path up the Ptarmigan,
It was a warm day and with the sun beating down on us we quickly had to stop and take our waterproofs off. The walk was pretty easy going and the snow slowly got deeper and deeper as we went, being late in the day the trail was pretty broken in already. we passed a few people on the way up and had a few chats.

As wee climbed the views got better and better, slowy as we gained hight the views of loch Lomond stretched out behind us.

When we finally reach Ptarmigan there wind started to pick up as we were no longer sheltered by the mountain. But for our efforts of racing the sun we were rewarded with the golden light of a failing day falling over the mountains of the Arrochar alps.

From there we turned to the main goal of the day, the summit of Ben Lomond itself. reaching the base of the main climb to the summit we decided it was time to put away the walking poles and get the crampons on and the ice axes outs.

We then made are way up the final steep part of the climbing were the views looking back down were fantastic. We reached the summit as the golden light of the day began to turn pink. Summiting as i had planned bang on sunset.

After getting a few images and my standard summit selfie with my walking partner. we ate a wee bit of food and carried on.

We had a clear night and with the reflections of the snow it was easy going and the darkness without the use of a head torch.

After a mix of fast down hill walking made easy because of the snow and a bit of sliding we got back to the van in good time.

Only needing the head torched for the final wooded part of the descent which seems to go on forever.

Another great day on the hill which almost didn’t happen.

Hope you have enjoyed this report. Ive still got a few more to write.
AlexFrood
Stravaiging

Munros:69   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:24   

Re: Sunset over Ptarmigan ridge on Ben Lomond

Postby Andy74G » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Looks like a fantastic afternoon on the hill, some stunning and very atmospheric pictures,showing the tone and mood of your day :clap: :clap:
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Postby onsen » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:45 pm

The golden glow over the cold blanket of ice & snow....was well worth the effort. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby mgmt! » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:42 pm

fantastic photographs there, everything looks so much better in winter i think,
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:53 pm

looked like you got a cracker of a day , my Ptarmigan walk was spoiled by the wind
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby hopper68 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 am

Cracking pics , it looked a great day out
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:09 pm

Superb photos. Ben Lomond was my first Munro (more than 50 years ago) but not by the Ptarmigan ridge - so need to get back there some time soon! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:14 am

Great pics :clap: , and a good lesson for walkers - ie you can start late in winter and still have a great walk. Let's have some more WRs.....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jules999 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:11 am

Absolutely stunning photos, amazing to see Ben Lomond in winter, as I climbed it yesterday and came down Ptarmigan Ridge and it was sunshine all the way :-)
jules999
Mountain Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:67
Fionas:19   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:33   
Islands:4

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland