walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quick one - South of Glen Affric

A quick one - South of Glen Affric

Postby malky_c » Mon May 24, 2010 9:58 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn a' Chaochain

Date walked: 23/05/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 460m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to shelve my epic Loch Mullardoch circuit for the time being and do a family walk, as my parents and sister were staying in a caravan in Cannich for a week. Cycled down to Drumnadrochit and was picked up and taken over to Cannich. A friend had mentioned that he had recently climbed Carn a'Chaochain and found it to be very straightforward and short. Therefore I was able to persuade my family it would be a nice walk, and easy to be down in time for a meal in Drumnadrochit later.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The drive up to Cougie was rather slow, and despite being shown as a tarmac road on the latest OS map, the last 4 miles were unsurfaced. A couple of clunks of the exhaust pipe and we were eating lunch just outside Cougie. Fortunately nothing actually fell off the car.

From the carpark, we followed a newish track then cut off onto the stalker's path through the forest. Most of the surrounding woodland had been felled, but there was a small ribbon of birch following the line of a burn up the hill. The path went up through this and was very pleasant. A gate in the deer fence, and we were out on the moorland. There were a couple of short boggy patches, but on the whole the path was much better than I expected.
101_2366.JPG
Horses at Cougie
101_2368.JPG
Across Loch Affric to Carn Eighe/Mam Sodhail

At the high point, we cut onto a heathery ridge, studded with the occasional outcrop or boulder. The ground was exceptionally dry, something I think was particular to the recent weather. A recent trip to the Grahams immediately east of this hill had been fairly boggy. Views opened up to the Glen Affric Munros and back down Strathglass. We stopped at an intermetiate cairn at about 620m, then onward to the summit, the pace leisurely.
101_2374.JPG
On the summit with Strathglass to the left
101_2375.JPG
Clouds gathering over the Affric Munros
101_2380.JPG
Across Glen Moriston to the Monadliath
101_2386.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich

The actual summit is slightly south of the trig point and a couple of m higher. Laura (my sister) and I went across to this, then we all retraced our steps the same way back, as it was the best route by far. My mum was tiring towards the end, as she still hadn't fully recovered from doing the West Highland Way the previous week.
101_2388.JPG
Descending the path through the woods
101_2390.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich from above Cougie

All in all, despite being an unexciting hill to look at, this walk was really enjoyable. Looking back to the family walks of my youth, this was much more relaxing. I have memories of racing against the darkness while trying to get down various Munros, with my mum not liking to go downhill particuarly fast. This was much better.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: A quick one - South of Glen Affric

Postby monty » Mon May 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Looks like a nice little sunday walk Malky. Just enough of an effort to work up a Sunday lunch appetite. :D Are they miniature ponies?
monty

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Looks a really nice walk with great views! :D
mountain coward

Postby grantrobertson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Good report from what seems like a fine walk in a beautiful, remote area - judging by the pictures. I checked for walks in the location after watching a really interesting documentary about the amazing Pocock family and their croft at Cougie. Glad to have found this and can't wait to get up there (probably next spring, realistically!)
grantrobertson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:100
Fionas:33   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:40   

Postby basscadet » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:35 am

Oh that looked nice :clap: Somewhere to take my nephew next time he is home :)
I feel a bit cheated, as I did the Mullardoch round, and therefore managed to do all the Affric hills without setting a boot in Glen Affric itself.. Have to rectify that soon :roll: :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland