walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snow Boarding in the Arrochar Alps

Snow Boarding in the Arrochar Alps

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:25 am

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 02/02/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Checked the BBC weather report for the weekend ...... :D

Keen to take advantage of the excellent snow conditions I had experienced two weeks before I packed my mini snowboard into my 65 litre rucksack along with the steaks, sticks and Cubanistos and headed on down to Arrochar.

snowy xmas tree.jpg

Arrived at 'Bubbas Creek' and was pleased to see that there was still a huge amount of snow still there from the previous weeks and set about searching for a suitable place to break out the mini snowboard and the Bubba -Q.

shadow.jpg

Me m8 Shadow decided to join me and we both set off up the trail with the sun behind us :lol:

snow covered  path.jpg

I was glad to see that the regular path was more visible , as the week before it was completely under snow and not as apparent. People had been forging their own trail up to the base of the Cobbler and one had been forced to leap across burns and gaps which were not on the normal route.

bubba walking.jpg

So it made the going a lot easier as I was yomping my usual heavy payload of steak and beers ready for another winter Bubba -Q in the snow. :)

martin.jpg

Bumped into Martin who introduced himself having recognised me from my previous walk reports. He was all geared up with the crampons and ice axe as were many others that day.

bubba thumbs cobbler.jpg

We exchanged words and took a few snaps and then carried on our way.

Shortly after, I stopped for lunch just off the path at the head of a mini snow drift with an ideal incline to try out the snowboard and fired up the Bubba-Q after sticking the beers in the snow to chill.

As I was munching my Ribeye wraps and French onion soup I noticed a couple of lads with skis and a dog coming down the path and pointed out the potential of the slope for them to try out their skiing techniques .

They came over saw what I was talking about, kitted up and took off down the slope for about 100 meters of free style skiing. 8)

I was enjoying the day and decided to pack up and head down to catch the 2pm bus back to Glasgow, but unfortunately just missed it as I reached the bottom of the track.

Special mention to Gordon fae Ibrox for giving me a lift back and saving the day. :clap:

Thanks m8 8) There's a Ribeye with your name on next time we cross paths in the Alps.

It's great to see the 'Kindred Spirit' is still alive and kicking out there in the hills and I have met so many great characters and friends whilst out hill walking.

We all share a ' common bond' which is the Great Outdoors! I never tire of walking in these hills ...it's always an adventure :lol:

Until next time ....watch this space!
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

Re: Snow Boarding in the Arrochar Alps

Postby wyvern57 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 pm

hi bubba nice to meet you , hope that you had a good day , martin .
wyvern57
Munro compleatist

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Snow Boarding in the Arrochar Alps

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Nice one Bubba. Glad to see you enjoying even better conditions than I did!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland