walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Forth Estuary 2 (Firth of Forth, Elie to Pittenweem)

Forth Estuary 2 (Firth of Forth, Elie to Pittenweem)

Postby RiverSong » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:24 pm

Route description: Lower Largo to St Monans

Date walked: 10/08/2018

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In the days before the virus, I often used to jump in the car and drive over the Queensferry Crossing to the Kingdom of Fife, where I spent many happy hours walking parts of the Fife Coastal Path. I always enjoyed looking back over the water to my home, and taking in the reciprocal views across the Forth.

Here are some photos of a walk from the village of Elie to Pittenweem. I remember it as being a very sunny day, and the sun shining on the water the whole time I was there.
Attachments
IMG_5434.JPG
The lighthouse from Elie Bay
IMG_5443.JPG
North Berwick lies directly across the Forth from Elie, that's the Bass Rock on the left of the photo and North Berwick Law is the cone-shaped hill to the right
IMG_5444.JPG
Looking back to the villages of Elie and Earlsferry, that's Kincraig Hill in the background where you can find the Chain Walk (not for me, not in a million years!)
IMG_5448.JPG
Back of the lighthouse, it looks like a mini castle from here
IMG_5456.JPG
Looking down onto Ruby Bay
IMG_5463.JPG
The Lady Tower, built as a summer house for Lady Janet Anstruther
IMG_5467.JPG
stones used to build the Lady Tower
IMG_5479.JPG
sunlight hitting the waters of the Forth
IMG_5481.JPG
concrete pill boxes from WW2, these are found on both sides of the Forth
IMG_5482.JPG
Ruby Bay, you can see how it got its name from the red beach. They used to mine red garnet gemstones here
IMG_5489.JPG
Pittenweem, white houses with red roofs, like many of the houses along the Fife Coast
IMG_5491.JPG
The entrance to St Fillans cave, said to have been inhabited in the 7th century. People used to go on pilgramages to St Andrews, and they would rest here in the cave after walking there from North Queensferry
IMG_5494.JPG
marble type stones inside the cave
IMG_5495.JPG
beautiful alter within the cave
IMG_5502.JPG
Deep interior of the cave, this was where they hid the whisky in the days of the smugglers.
Last edited by RiverSong on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverSong
Walker

Re: Forth Estuary 2 (Firth of Forth, Elie to Pittenweem)

Postby RiverSong » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:39 pm

Forth Estuary 2
RiverSong
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland