walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cobbler: Chockstone & Great Gully by daylight.

Cobbler: Chockstone & Great Gully by daylight.

Postby gman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:11 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 05/02/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 870m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

cobbler chockstone great gully actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Inspired by mgmt!'s moonlight report http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49194 here's the idiot's guide.

I'm new to the winter climbing, I like a scramble in summer so I guess this the equivalent. The Cobbler's only a half hour from home so I'm regularly here, it's a busy hill & one of the places us (hillwalkers) meet them (climbers) so here I am with 12 point crampons, a pair of axes and a helmet.

I've done both both gullies separately a couple of weeks ago and that was my intro to winter grade II: crap unstable powder snow, a spindrift avalanche at the rock step halfway up Great Gully and cramp from keeping a death grip on the axes. So I'm back for more.

For Chockstone Gully take a right turn off the normal path and move across on some ledges:

Start of gully, I followed prints in the snow to get here and I could see that others had got to the gully lower down.

There's the chockstone ahead, wedged in the gully creating a hole.

View down to the frozen burn & path to Ime.

Snow's a lot better today, it's been here a while and has been compacted by traffic.

Gets steeper at the top, guess this is why it earns a grade II.

Looking back down after the exit, book says you can turn right at the end and up a steep slab or left through a narrow gap but the gap looks too narrow. Right/slab exit:

Nice view to the south summit.

Great gully is unmissable, it bisects the north summit. There's a tricky rock step at the start, spent ages on it last week but it was fine today.

After the step up.

Turf at the top of the step.

Another easier rock step halfway up.

Again, steeper at the top.

Back down from the top, again a choice of exiting to the left or right.

Moody Cobbler.

Avalanche debris on the path back down.
Last edited by gman on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Cobbler: Chockstone & Great Gully by daylight.

Postby summitchaser » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Wicked report, I would love to do this one. Did you have ropes etc with you apart from the axes and crampons, need to invest in a decent rope for myself. Did you squeeze through the narrow gap. It looked pretty small going by your picture of it lol.
summitchaser

Munros:29   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Cobbler: Chockstone & Great Gully by daylight.

Postby gman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:48 pm

summitchaser wrote:Did you have ropes etc with you apart from the axes and crampons, need to invest in a decent rope for myself.

I didn't take a rope, conditions were fine on the day but I would definitely have backed off if the snow was dodgy. I need to get used to having a plan B for this stuff as grades can vary significantly with conditions on the day.

summitchaser wrote:Did you squeeze through the narrow gap. It looked pretty small going by your picture of it lol.

The picture makes it look narrower than it is - that's the wide/steep exit, the left hand one was banked up with snow and there was no way I'd have fit given the lager & kebab diet :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland