walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Threesome With Marilyn

Threesome With Marilyn

Postby Backpacker » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn-mon-earn, Kerloch, Strathfinella Hill

Date walked: 08/02/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Total time includes driving.

I'd been pondering this route for a while and after a mishap yesterday decided to do it today.

Carn Mon Earn

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left Stonehaven just before 7 and was parked up about quarter past (Shortest drive ever for a hill :lol: )

I had planned just to follow the track up and round to the summit but as I fancied getting up there for sunrise, I opted to follow the firebreak to the summit.

Despite only being a 200M climb, it was tough going as the snow was frozen solid and where there wasn't any was ankle deep bog :(

I picked my way through it all and arrived on the summit after 20mins. There wasn't anything to see on the way up, so no photos.

The summit has a pretty big Cairn, Trig point and various radio paraphernalia.

I sat chewing on my vape stick waiting on the sun coming up and it didn't disappoint.

ImageDSC_0001 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0004 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0018 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0007 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

There's no photo's looking south as I was trying avoid getting the vast amount of windfarms in view.

Satisfied, I left and followed the track back down, I kept to the verges as much as possible to avoid falling on my backside.

Although it is mainly forestry, there was a chance for a couple of photos

ImageDSC_0026 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0045 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Eventually I emerged on the main road and walked over to the car, ready to drive over to Kerloch.

Kerloch

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked up as per the WH route description but they've since created a parking area big enough for 12-15 cars.

The track initially made for very pleasant going, frozen solid but not sheet ice, this was to change on the way back.

ImageDSC_0058 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

I made my through a couple of gates and hit the forestry section, this section was frozen solid with snow and sheet ice to boot, I gingerly followed it and missed the turn off :lol: :lol:

ImageDSC_0062 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

I had to back trace about a quarter mile or so to correct myself and get on to the horrifically iced over eroded path whick would get me clear of the trees. With the sun overhead and zero wind, I had to strip down to my baselayer.

I continued up, again missing the frozen solid snow and ice patches and emerged above the treeline. The views from here are very extensive

The going from here over towards the final pull was pretty easy going however the last steep section to the summit was again, solid ice.

ImageDSC_0068 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0081 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0086 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0074 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Happy with my efforts, I made my way back the way I came and made my over to Strathfinella Hill

Strathfinella Hill

Followed Forestry Track, Found trig point

ImageDSC_0105 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0104 by GaryE1872, on Flickr
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Threesome With Marilyn

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Nice one Gary, good idea to catch the sunrise - naturally you need a day when you can actually see the sun :lol: :lol:

I think we know why the third hill doesn't get much of a mention :wink: :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Threesome With Marilyn

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:20 pm

One of these days I will tackle Strathfinella Hill, but won't be rushing up there :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland