walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eastern Delights - Sunny Ben Tirran!!

Eastern Delights - Sunny Ben Tirran!!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Route description: Ben Tirran by Loch Brandy and Wharral, Glen Clova

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 09/02/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14.8 km

Ascent: 760m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Propelled by my injury clearing up, and the thirst for getting back into the old lifestyle of wandering the hills/mountains, has seen the start of 2015 laden with a bounty of glorious sunny winter walks. Today's little expedition would be no different :)

Munro compleatist, sooper dooper physio and rampant Corbett bagger Mountain Thyme (Theresa) contacted me midweek asking if I was up for walking Monday. "Do you fancy a Munro MT" ? "I only do Corbetts now" she sternly told me! "I'll help you bag a Corbett no problem", I'll walk any hills you see. :wink:

The weather gods predicted East was the place to be. A quick look at MT's Corbettt map provided guidance on our hill of choice - Ben Tirran it would be. Situated in Glen Cova Ben Tirran is 12k East of Munros Mayar & Driesh, sitting West of Tirran is Loch Wharral and the magnificent Loch Brandy which are both flanked by imposing Corries.

Picked up at 7am, arriving at Glen Cova 3 hours later. Been years since I'd been here doing M & D. I remember meeting another WH member, now also a Munro compleatist - Graham Slater, nice fella. Was looking forward to exploring the area. Just went with the trail runners for this walk due to the melting snow.

Walk past the hotel and head straight up North

After 2km Loch Brandy soon comes into view

A short pull up to the plateau is next, on arrival Loch Brandy looks stunning.

We decided to drop into the Ford at the Northern tip of Loch Brandy and just gazed in amazement at the view in front of us. The Loch itself was a mixture of dystopian greys with sections of ice surrounding its parameters. The sun was sitting high in the clear blue sky, its reflection beaming into the loch creating warmth, light and a touch of dazzlement! If I had a spacehopper I would bounce on down there, on the ice parts off course, and have me some fun :shock: :lol: 8)

We sat here for a bite to eat whilst soaking up the hot rays and taking in the splendour in front of us. Felt really lucky to be out in such glorious conditions, with equally glorious views. Was now time for some action shots!

Golden Balls :shock:

Could've sat here all day long but MT had a Corbett to bag! Made our way to Green Hill then followed the fence East for 4Km to Goet hill, from here it was 1KM SW to Tirran. This part of the walk was very pleasurable, the views NW to Lochnagar standing out.

Summit Posing!! Mt trying to perfect the "dooter pose" :lol:

From Ben Tirran we headed SW for 4k which took us back to the start. This was mainly pathless, and wet in some areas. On route back we stopped at Loch Wharral.

MT tried to climb through the windowless hole on the side of the large hut but for some unknown reason couldn't get through :crazy:

I was going to comment and describe this as a dooter snow angel but was advised any credibility I had would be shot to pieces. So, went for the "dooter snow warrior" instead :shock: :lol:

5 hours after leaving we arrived back at the car. My trail runners were soaked so I'd be walking up the stairs to my flat in the 4 season boots! Thankfully my feet were dry as I'd wore the waterproof socks :wink:

Thanks to Theresa for driving and being great company in the hills. I'm sure she'll complete these Corbetts soon, now she's her "mojo" back.

For me next, someone has offered to take me nightime walking...should be interesting :)

Another amazing winters day out on the hills :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Eastern Delights - Sunny Ben Tirran!!

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Those photos of Loch Brandy and that sharp sun are just amazing, this is on my to do list this year so thanks for posting :clap:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby kev_russ » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:40 pm

very nice indeed 8)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:42 pm

The mystery solved, the new track (scar) up Ben Tirran was built for this new hut ! Not been up there for a while now but had noticed this new track. Wonderful photographs of Loch Brandy, lucky you getting a day like that, superb :D The route you took makes a wonderful winter walk, especially when you finish at the Hotel :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby scoob999 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Nice wee hill that, wish we had the same weather though :( Good to see you back out and about :D
Great pics :wink:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:04 pm

Grand pics and good to see you recovering from injury :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:36 pm

Nice to be able to get out on a Monday esp to make the best of days like this - good to see you getting out more regularly even if MT does have to support you :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby PeteR » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Superb photos :clap: :D It's a great little circuit.

I did this route the day before you, with similarly stunning weather and views 8) (just too lazy these days to post TRs :shock: :lol: )

Lochnagar looked superb from that plateau walk :D Loch Brandy looked great too, but I was caught unawares by how grand Loch Wharral and its corrie looked when I got there 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dooterbang » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Cheers everyone - was a grand day :)

Pete - had seen your photos before leaving so cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 am

rockhopper wrote:Nice to be able to get out on a Monday esp to make the best of days like this - good to see you getting out more regularly even if MT does have to support you :wink: - cheers :)

Someone has to help the aged :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:04 pm

Dazzling pictures of the lochan but also really like the third one.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Nice - used to head up Glen Clova a lot when I lived in Dundee but haven't been up for about 10 years now :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dogplodder » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:27 pm

It was years ago I was up there and there was none of the white stuff around. Have to admit the combination of snow and sun notches up the photogenic factor and for somewhere in the Angus glens this looks quite spectacular! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland