walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A great day for getting my mojo back

A great day for getting my mojo back

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 09/02/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 876m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Too many sad events over Christmas and New Year stopped me getting out on the hills and I felt as though I had lost my mojo!

As I had a few days annual leave to use before the end of March I decided to take one day off and get a hill fix.
I fancied something not too far away and checked to see if anyone else was free. Johnny Corbett was too busy concentrating on the sub 2000s and Dooterbang had a gas engineer visiting but when he seen the weather window rescheduled this and joined me.

Doots checked my WH Corbett map and the weather and decided on Ben Tirran :)
I picked him up at 7am and was bang on time for a change - I must have been excited _- and we headed towards Glen Clova. Getting stuck in lots of traffic at Cumbernauld and Perth seen us beginning the walk at 1030am :roll:

Parked at the public car park/ toilets opposite the hotel. Crossed the road and headed up the right hand side of the hotel, passing some chalets, then over a bridge, through the gate and followed the path onto the open countryside.
P1040839.JPG

We followed the path north and headed up the ridge with views to our east of Loch Brandy. Here the Loch looked stunning, stopping for lots of pictures on route :D
We continued up the ridge with me puffing a bit due to my first hill in 2 months. We stopped at the top of the Loch for more pictures and then sat for lunch with one of the best views/ lunch stops I’ve seen recently on the hills. With also some cracking views over towards Lochnagar from here.
P1040842.JPG
First view of Loch Brandy

P1040847.JPG
Heading up the ridge with Loch Brandy to the east

P1040852.JPG
At the north end of Loch Brandy

P1040857.JPG
Loch Brandy

Not wanting to move we eventually continued south east towards green hill and followed a path towards White Hill and south towards the Goet where we refuelled again. The walk up towards the Goet was up and down with softish snow underfoot but nothing too difficult. We kept to the right hand side of the fence all the way up towards the Goet
P1040867.JPG
Hurry up Doots. Kidding on his knees sore. Towards the Goet

P1040870.JPG
The Goet

From the Goet it was an easy walk south west towards the summit of Ben Tirran.
P1040872.JPG
Summit of Ben Tirran

P1040874.JPG
Summit

P1040876.JPG

From the summit we headed southwest towards Loch Wharral, stopping again for some pics and from here over boggy ground and an electric fence! And continued west towards the forest/ chalets near to the hotel.
P1040881.JPG
Loch Wharral

P1040884.JPG
Hut at Loch Wharral

P1040887.JPG
This is how its done Doots !

P1040894.JPG

P1040896.JPG
Lagging behind! Its not that hot DB

A truly fantastic hill in winter, which I totally did not expect. 5 hours in total which included lots of picture stops.
Cheers for the company Dooterbang and for helping me get back out and getting my mojo back.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: A great day for getting my mojo back

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 am

Lovely day for it MT and a great way to use up holidays - but you're both a right couple of posers :wink:

Think you may just have pipped it in the snow angels competition :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby onsen » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:51 am

Nice way to recharge your mojo.... :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby basscadet » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:39 am

Oh that looked brill, glad you got a nice day for your first outing for a while.. :)
Was up this hill yesterday, but nothing but freezing winds and clag for us :?
Couldn't decide in the clag whether the cairn was the summit, or the trig point.. Lots of wandering on a flat plateau with fingers crossed :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby litljortindan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:55 am

The lochan is dazzling. Looks like a good antidote if the festive season wasn't so festive.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:41 pm

It looks like you had the perfect conditions to get your mojo back. I have been tempted by Loch Brandy for a while, looks stunning surrounded by snow and blue skies.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:53 pm

A great winters daunder, that electric fence is new though :( never seen one up there before. It's time I got the finger out and did something that counts for a blue balloon, and get my legs tuned up for the Durness Weekend. :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:59 pm

Loved this report - I've spent many happy hours in this area, in all conditions - but you can't beat a clear winter's day. Nor can you beat getting out in great country after a lay off - really does the soul good! :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:32 pm

rockhopper wrote:Lovely day for it MT and a great way to use up holidays - but you're both a right couple of posers :wink:

Think you may just have pipped it in the snow angels competition :lol: - cheers :)

Haha cheers RH.No one can pose but DB :D

onsen wrote:Nice way to recharge your mojo.... :thumbup:

cheers onsen

basscadet wrote:Oh that looked brill, glad you got a nice day for your first outing for a while.. :)
Was up this hill yesterday, but nothing but freezing winds and clag for us :?
Couldn't decide in the clag whether the cairn was the summit, or the trig point.. Lots of wandering on a flat plateau with fingers crossed :lol:

It was a cracking day cheers. Sorry yous had a rubbish day Seanna :(

litljortindan wrote:The lochan is dazzling. Looks like a good antidote if the festive season wasn't so festive.

Sarah86 wrote:It looks like you had the perfect conditions to get your mojo back. I have been tempted by Loch Brandy for a while, looks stunning surrounded by snow and blue skies.

Cheers. Keep this walk for a day which i got :D

The Rodmiester wrote:A great winters daunder, that electric fence is new though :( never seen one up there before. It's time I got the finger out and did something that counts for a blue balloon, and get my legs tuned up for the Durness Weekend. :lol: :lol:

I was frightened to cross it incase i touched it. Corbetts in Durness ?? Might get a walk together :)

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Loved this report - I've spent many happy hours in this area, in all conditions - but you can't beat a clear winter's day. Nor can you beat getting out in great country after a lay off - really does the soul good! :D :D

Cheers Huff n Puff. It was a stunning day . Great wee walk :D
Cheers litljortindan. The lochan was stunning :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Been up to Loch Brandy on various occasions with bunches of kids - but never saw it like this. What a day you got! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:40 pm

dogplodder wrote:Been up to Loch Brandy on various occasions with bunches of kids - but never saw it like this. What a day you got! :D

Cheers DP. A cracking day was had
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:13 pm

I temporarily lost my hill mojo once. Was great when I found it again. Good to see you got yours back T! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland