walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monster cairn & not even on the summit!

Monster cairn & not even on the summit!

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Cairn Hill

Date walked: 20/02/2015

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 330m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After watching the weather closely all week, Friday looked like the best option to nip out and be back home in time for lunch :lol: The plan was to pop down to the Pentlands and in the small time window East Cairn Hill was my obvious target :wink:
After reading all the reports and there are many starting at varying different points, I checked the map and decided to head down through Balerno on the A70 and park in a car park that was marked on my OS map 8)
However, best laid plans and all that, the car park wasn't what you would call "well advertised", I knew roughly where it was and still went past it. Ended up pulling in a bit further up the road and the car park was sign posted 700m in the direction I had come from :(
Anyway found it after that wee bit of help. Spaces for about 10 cars if everyone is considerate (like me), failing that 8 at most, as I was there before 9am I had the pick of spaces :lol:
The forecast had been OK but when I got out of the car it didn't look too clever at all, the Pentlands were covered in lowish cloud :(

DSCF8424.JPG
Car park - looks bigger in the photo

DSCF8425.JPG
The start of the walk

DSCF8426.JPG
The sign of things to come, squelch, squelch

DSCF8429.JPG
Nice little bridge

Left the car park at 9 sharp and as you follow the path which is marked with marker posts at strategic points, East Cairn Hill can be seen as the big lump on the left, the right hand hill is thoughtfully names West Cairn Hill :lol:
As this walk was just a little romp and the weather was 'changeable' I only managed to take 35 photo's, the good thing about that is that I don't need to use Flickr just yet :lol: :lol: I have had a look at how to post photo's using that facility but being a bit of a technophobe, it has been left for another day :wink:
It was just a matter of following the path which involved picking my way through various depths and degrees of bogginess :lol: The "Friends of the Pentlands" and the land owners had laid umpteen old railway sleepers at some of the worst boggy areas, this must have been quite a challenge. Wooden sleepers are fine in nice dry weather but when they are wet or frosty they are rather slippy, so great care was taken :lol:

DSCF8433.JPG
An example of the railway sleepers

The path goes up past Harperrig Reservoir and heads up to the bealach between the two lumps, however I wasn't going as far as the bealach and turned off to the left and headed uphill following another path. This was the first real uphill bit and it wasn't too long before I was warming up quite nicely :lol: :lol:

DSCF8434.JPG
Harperrig Reservoir - low level view

Just before reaching the higher ground near the summit, the ground was starting to turn white underfoot, nothing substantial. The big problem was it was soft and hid the soft ground underneath, so greater care was taken, otherwise it was mud up to the ankles :( The large cairn marking the lower top of East Cairn Hill was reached and it really is one the biggest cairns I have seen, not quite sure why the lower top should have such a huge construction :roll: :roll: The cairn provided a bit of shelter from the wind and snow/sleet showers that were whizzing through, and on a couple of occasions I was quick enough to get a few photo's when the cloud broke up. However the trek across the summit was no fun at all, soft slushy snow, a well trodden path over very boggy ground - YUK :lol:
Visibility at this time was about 10m and I was hoping the path would lead me to the summit :lol: I checked my phone when I started descending as I was very becoming suspicious that I had passed the summit and my suspicions were confirmed :shock:
So I retraced my footprints in the snow and set off back to the car 8) Here are a few photo's, not the best I have taken but the photo opportunities were very rare :(

DSCF8439.JPG
The middle of the cairn

DSCF8437.JPG
Close up of my new lighter rucksack - note the snow flakes on same

DSCF8441.JPG
Looking back to the path

DSCF8446.JPG
Harperrig Reservoir from on high

DSCF8450.JPG
Monster cairn, looked much bigger in reality

DSCF8457.JPG
Northern Pentlands

DSCF8459.JPG
Edinburgh, Firth of Forth and the Kingdom

DSCF8460.JPG
And finally - another shot of the monster

Descent was easy and straightforward and was back at the car in less than 3 hrs, never saw another human being, however there was another car in the car park :?
It won't go down as my favourite day in the hills, but I still enjoyed the fresh air and the occasional view :lol:
Off out tomorrow Mayar & Dreish again, this time hopefully with snow, may even try out my crampons, so watch this space :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Monster cairn & not even on the summit!

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:14 am

Must be great to be able to get out almost any day you like :mrgreen: - good to be able to get out and about even if it did look a tad boggy at times - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jmarkb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:47 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:The large cairn marking the lower top of East Cairn Hill was reached and it really is one the biggest cairns I have seen, not quite sure why the lower top should have such a huge construction

It's a prehistoric burial cairn: I guess the builders must have forgotten to take their differential GPS up with them :wink:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 pm

rockhopper wrote:Must be great to be able to get out almost any day you like :mrgreen: - good to be able to get out and about even if it did look a tad boggy at times - cheers :)

The joys of early retirement - the way ahead :wink:

RTC wrote:You picked the wrong direction yesterday, Martin. It was like a summer's day yesterday on Norman's Law. East Cairn from the Balerno side is one of the boggiest walks I've ever done. Your photos show the nature of the walk very well. Its a bit drier from Carlops on the Biggar road.

Rub it in why don't you Russell, did consider it from the A702 side, maybe later in the year :wink:

jmarkb wrote:It's a prehistoric burial cairn: I guess the builders must have forgotten to take their differential GPS up with them :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland