walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Socach - An Unexpected Gem in Glen Shee

An Socach - An Unexpected Gem in Glen Shee

by jupe1407 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:46 am

Route description: An Socach from Glen Clunie

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar)

Date walked: 21/02/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 773m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: An Socach - An Unexpected Gem in Glen Shee

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:24 pm

PeteR wrote:Superb photos JP......as others have rightly said.

I need to return to this hill, as the day I did it a few winters back I ended up clagged in for most of it, so missed any views.

It's also the site of my only hill walking injury to date......a eventual lost fingernail occasioned by a slip on some ice on the plateau and punching a rock as I fell :shock: "Ouch", I said. So I need to be putting that right somehow.

Thanks Pete.

It is indeed a fine hill in winter. Luckily i escaped with only a cold a**e after the walk back down-wind from the summit cairn, then my bumslides down the icy snow further down. They certainly wouldn't be winning any beauty contests. :lol:

I'm sure you may have also used a different four-lettered word!
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Micro spikes are definitely a lot easier to get on and off than crampons and a good deal cheaper to boot (see what I did there! :roll: ) but they don't offer quite the same level of security on steep ground. I was carrying both the other day coming off Cairn Bannoch when I felt I needed something under my boots. I went with the spikes for ease of fitting and the fact that it looked like only a relatively short section of descent where I would need them, but I could tell that they were still not really giving me the security I needed on certain particularly steep icy sections. Had it been a lengthy descent I think I'd have been stopping again and swapping them for the bad boys!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am

If I only could motive myself to get up that early!! That first picture with the starts is amazing!!
Well done for getting out so early and it certainly looked like an amazing day out!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dogplodder » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:10 pm

Did this one before I carried a camera so nice to see the views we must have got that day. I remember a pair of friendly white horses near the start of the walk which were just begging for their photo to be taken! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Mountainlove wrote:If I only could motive myself to get up that early!! That first picture with the starts is amazing!!
Well done for getting out so early and it certainly looked like an amazing day out!

Thanks Maja. It was a fine day, especially once the sun came up. :D

dogplodder wrote:Did this one before I carried a camera so nice to see the views we must have got that day. I remember a pair of friendly white horses near the start of the walk which were just begging for their photo to be taken! :D

There are still a few horses around the place. I saw them on the way in, on a field on the left before the Cottage. Also spent a fair part of the track dodging "horse evidence" :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland