walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag na Doire Duibhe, a fine wee fill in time.

Creag na Doire Duibhe, a fine wee fill in time.

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creag na Doire Duibhe

Date walked: 20/02/2015

Time taken: 1.25 hours

Distance: 2.62 km

Ascent: 243m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was one of the hills I had targetted to do en route to the club meet at Feshiebridge. The weather was looking quite favourable when passing through Dalwhinnie although the forecast had said a few snow storms likely. Taking the A889 from Dalwhinnie towards Laggan I stopped the car at the bridge past the half way house

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
View from the bridge where there is sufficient parking for about three cars. Take the track into the trees alongside the burn, soon there is three small burn crossings followed by a gate which can be opened readily
2.JPG
One of the river crossings, by the way after a wet spell this walk will require gaiters as it gets pretty wet once off the track
3.JPG
Hill to be climbed in the distance
4.JPG
Good track for walking makes for good fast progress
5.JPG
Leave the track at the high point and make for the East shoulder , this section is decidedly wet but nothing too deep
6.JPG
As you climb you soon come apon a fence line follow it to the gate and climb further, nothing too steep and no problems
7.JPG
Looking back the way I had come
8.JPG
I tried my hand at stone balancing. I was to have a snack behind this stone on the way down for some shelter from the cold wind
9.JPG
First sign of the summit cairn
10.JPG
View from the summit, time taken 45mins
11.JPG
View of Loch Caolcair to the South
12.JPG
Approaching the tree plantation at the start of the walk
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Creag na Doire Duibhe, a fine wee fill in time.

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Nice one Rod :clap: :clap:

Your reports are very unique in that the walk descriptions and photo's are factual and very useful :clap:

Had to check the map to see exactly where you had been :lol:
1.25hrs bet you were still cold when you got back to the car :lol: That looks like being a hill that I may nip up en-route to elsewhere, been on that road umpteen times :roll:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Hillsman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Must put this one on my list of hills to do. I see that there are gates; do they open? I usually have my spaniel with me and he's too heavy to lift over fences..
Hillsman
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:196
Fionas:89   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:200   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Rod :clap: :clap:

Your reports are very unique in that the walk descriptions and photo's are factual and very useful :clap:

Had to check the map to see exactly where you had been :lol:
1.25hrs bet you were still cold when you got back to the car :lol: That looks like being a hill that I may nip up en-route to elsewhere, been on that road umpteen times :roll:

Glad you like the reports Martin, they won't be to everyones taste :) Deffinately worth a wee stomp up if your passing by en route to bigger and better :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Hillsman wrote:Must put this one on my list of hills to do. I see that there are gates; do they open? I usually have my spaniel with me and he's too heavy to lift over fences..

Hi there Hillsman, your spaniel will love the river crossings and the muddy bits :lol: :lol: And yes no problem with that one gate, a wire loop over the fence post job :D

Just remembered I climbed over the second gate higher up on the hill, but it was not locked, sorry Hillsman.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:03 pm

You're obviously quite confident about your stone balancing skills Rod! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:33 pm

I like the natural photos there, probably better in this winter time comparing to summer 8) :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:52 am

Graeme D wrote:You're obviously quite confident about your stone balancing skills Rod! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm an expert at that Graeme :lol: :lol: the arms a feeling a bit sore today though :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:54 am

Petr Dakota wrote:I like the natural photos there, probably better in this winter time comparing to summer 8) :clap:

I agree Petr, a good wee winter jaunt, something to break a car journey from further North or West.
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland