walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A night on A’Mharconaich

A night on A’Mharconaich

Postby AlexFrood » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich

Date walked: 09/02/2015

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a rest day after finishing teaching a winter skills course of the weekend but once again like most of my rest days may boredom gets the best of me. This time i had a friend along with me as well.

The plan was set and we were going to do a sunset/night ascent of A’Mharconaich, A hill I had seen a few days before from Geal-charn.

Once again I parked the van at Drumochter and we kitted up, setting off about 3:30pm. He decided to head up to Bealach at the back between A’Mharconaich & Geal-charn and not via the North east ridge.

we decided on the bealach because we felt it would be quicker following the track up and not slogging up the soft snow on the ridge.

After a long walk up the Bealach we made it for sunset and watched it before set behind Ben Alder.

From there I set a bearing up toward the summit plateau into the Clag and the darkness.

Gaining the plateau in the dark and clag I could finally got do some more nav practice, which the blue birds days of most of the season hadn’t let me do.

Turns out I can still nav and after walking on some long bearing we hit the summit cairn.

From there it was a descent route via the North east ridge and back to the van for the night.

Hope you have enjoyed the report.
AlexFrood
Stravaiging

Munros:69   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:24   

Re: A night on A’Mharconaich

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Seems to be quite a bit of night walking going on these days! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: A night on A’Mharconaich

Postby AlexFrood » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Nothing to do with lying in bed, I just like the sunsets. :)
AlexFrood
Stravaiging

Munros:69   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:24   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland