walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking with ghosts: Epilogue (Part 1)

Walking with ghosts: Epilogue (Part 1)

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Common Hill, Middlefield Law, Nutberry Hill

Date walked: 04/07/2014

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 970m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my epic and nostalgic ramble around the hills and moors of East Ayrshire over the previous couple of days, I awoke to a thoroughly miserable day on the Friday. After unceremoniously packing away my wet tent, I drove back down into Muirkirk village to buy a few supplies at the Co-op before deciding that pish weather or no pish weather, I was going to do Middlefield Law and Nutberry Hill.

As I said in my main report, I had walked on Middlefield Law before in my childhood (although I don't recall ever being at the summit) but had never been out the track to Priesthill or beyond to Nutberry Hill.

Fairly uneventful really so will let the pictures tell the story. Only real point of interest as such was the memorial to and grave of the Covenanter martyr John Brown on the slopes of Priesthill Heights.

The enticing looking start of the ascent of Middlefield Law

From near the edge of the Lamonburn plantation

Muirkirk and Cairn Table from the summit

Drookit

Descending alongside the Lamonburn plantation

The B743 snaking its way towards Muirkirk

Start of the track towards Priesthill

Bridge over the Greenock Water and the stretch where as a boy I landed my first ever brown trout

Back to Middlefield Law

Approaching Priesthill

John Brown's grave

Nutberry Hill beyond the plantation

Nutberry summit

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Back at the car I decided that I hadn't had quite enough of a soaking yet for one day so I drove back into Muirkirk and then east out of the village on the A70 towards Douglas. My destination was the appealingly named Common Hill and its even less appealing collection of wind turbines just outside Douglas. On the way I made a brief stop at Glenbuck (or rather at what used to be Glenbuck), where my gran was born in 1911 and visited the shrine to local hero Bill Shankly.

Shankly shrine

Windrow Cottage

Old bridge over the disused railway line

Glad I don't need to go over it!

Windrow Hill from the Windrow Burn

First of the turbines on Windrow Hill

Summit trig on Common Hill

Descending Burnt Rig

Douglas (and the car) from Scrogton

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Walking with ghosts: Epilogue (Part 1)

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:04 am

Aw the days spend doing some smaller hills can be so rewarding. It looks like a lovely area and some of your pictures turned out really nicely! Had to laugh when I spotted 'Windrow Hill from the Windrow Burn' at first glance I was thinking it is a washing line :lol: :lol: and thought great location to hang out the washing (certainly too early for me at the moment) :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland