walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain - a great winter Munro

Stuchd an Lochain - a great winter Munro

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:53 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 21/02/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mountain Time! :D Is the only time when I will bounce out of bed and blue skies and sunny weather added to my good mood. On my journey up north I picked up my my hiking buddy Michael and thanks to the company the nearly 3.5 hour journey to the starting point did not feel too long.

By the time we arrived, a freezing wind was blowing a few snow flakes across Loch an Daimh and sunshine was chasing clouds over the horizon.
Time to gear up and start the walk through the plantation towards the Stuchd an Lochain.

The start of the walk

We did not stay long on the wide path , as a wee cairn marked the start of the uphill climb. The steep path up, was covered in a thick layer of ice, which made me quite nervous, as I was still recovering from a fall on ice, which left me with a cracked Coccyx :thumbdown: . The path soon disappeared under a layer of snow and bizarrely most walkers had taken different routes up.

On the way up, looking back towards the dam

With no obvious route to follow we decided to take the direct approach and were soon scrambling up through the snow...great fun! Michael was soon ahead of me (his fitness level certainly better than my current one) and by the time we reached the bealach we felt the announced wind chill factor of -18 brrrrr.

But what a view!

The summit comes into view

Zoomed in Views towards the loch

The long ridge towards the summit

It was freezing! Not very often I have to wear my mega warm gloves on the way up

Another angle towards the loch

The walk toward the summit was pleasant until we saw a group of about 10 climbing the summit in a line :shock:
It was a matching picture for much higher mountains and reminded me about Everest movies 8) :lol:

The last push towards the summit...

Impressive! Loch Lyon damn and a hell lot of water!

Summit views

Summit views

Summit views

On top of the cairn

The loch

Posing

Towards the end of the loch

Panoramic photo of the whole loch

Having taken a lot of photos, it was time for lunch and hidden away from the freezing wind we were able to enjoy some sunshine and cracking views. Eventually the cold cheeped through my layers of clothing and it was time to say good bye to the summit and walk back towards the car.

On the way back

A few lovely trees at the lower slopes

Back down

Lovely icicles
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Stuchd an Lochain - a great winter Munro

Postby mini1mini2 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi (M) did you find access up the road ok ? only I was told it could be difficult conditions (it was on sun 15th though ) Ive" noticed your camera work has improved from your early reports :D :D :D cheers
mini1mini2
Mountaineer

Munros:132   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:214   

Postby hopper68 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:30 pm

Nice pictures,it looked a good day out
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:03 pm

Great report as always, I particularly liked the picture of the two Stonefish under the icicles at the end... :D
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby Fairweather Softie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi,

I passed you both just as you came across the hill from the road, had balaclava on on, noticed a car with a walkhighlands sticker on back window and wondered if I'd see a report.

I'm in awe of you un-gloving to take so many pictures! My hands stayed firmly in my gloves.

Had a quick bite to eat and went up the other side, met a guy from Carnoustie and walked to the top with him, had great day apart from crazy drive over Ben Lawers road, never again in winter.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Great pics as usual. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I spent the day in clag in the Lake District doing the Wastwater Horseshoe, because I thought that the weather was meant to be terrible further North ?!? It was supposed to clear up in the afternoon according to MWIS, but it didn't... :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:26 am

mini1mini2 wrote:Hi (M) did you find access up the road ok ? only I was told it could be difficult conditions (it was on sun 15th though ) Ive" noticed your camera work has improved from your early reports :D :D :D cheers

The road was ok, but I once took it and had to walk the last 2 km due to the snow and ice. It is certainly not a road to take after heavy snow fall or icy conditions. The worst is the time it takes on the single track road :roll:

Fairweather Softie wrote:Hi,
I passed you both just as you came across the hill from the road, had balaclava on on, noticed a car with a walkhighlands sticker on back window and wondered if I'd see a report.
I'm in awe of you un-gloving to take so many pictures! My hands stayed firmly in my gloves.
Had a quick bite to eat and went up the other side, met a guy from Carnoustie and walked to the top with him, had great day apart from crazy drive over Ben Lawers road, never again in winter.

Hello again! :wave: Regarding un-gloving I have to say that even though it was a struggle, I kept my gloves on while taking most pictures...it was far to cold :lol: Great that you enjoyed your day out as well and trust me..the road can be worse! :shock:

Alteknacker wrote:Great pics as usual. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I spent the day in clag in the Lake District doing the Wastwater Horseshoe, because I thought that the weather was meant to be terrible further North ?!? It was supposed to clear up in the afternoon according to MWIS, but it didn't... :(

Lol don't start me on the weather...I was glued to my 4! weather websites all week. Further down south were I live it was raining too..so I was glad for the better weather further up north! But I am sure you also had a good day out doing the Wastwater Horseshoe?

hopper68 & 2manyYorkies ...Many thanks!! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:56 am

Cracked coccyx sounds sore and can understand your nervousness on ice! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mgmt! » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:42 pm

thanks for the company and especially the driving mountainlove, i must admit it was enjoyed going at a nice (slowish) pace :lol: . i hope the recovery is coming along good, its a long and strenuous day on the nordwand :wink:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby dooterbang » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Fantastic Maja - looked a top day :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:29 pm

dogplodder wrote:Cracked coccyx sounds sore and can understand your nervousness on ice! :wink:

Lol was always a bit nervous on ice...but luckily the coccyx is healing nicely 8)

mgmt! wrote:thanks for the company and especially the driving mountainlove, i must admit it was enjoyed going at a nice (slowish) pace :lol: . i hope the recovery is coming along good, its a long and strenuous day on the nordwand :wink:

:lol: slow is not always bad 8) The recovery is coming along nicely at 90% now and back to full gym workouts! Looking forward to the nordwand!

dooterbang wrote:Fantastic Maja - looked a top day :)

Many thanks Paul!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Borderhugh » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 am

Great report and photos! Wishing for that kind of weather. Roll on summer!
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Nice one Maja, it wasn't like that the week before :lol: Great pics as always, you got the weather, can you send me your plans for any future dates so I can follow and see some sun :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Faction54 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:53 pm

BBBBRRRRRR!
Love the icicles
Faction54
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:5

Postby eml00019 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm

:clap:

This looks like an amazing day! My sister and I are just finding our feet with winter walking and I couldn't tell from your pictures but was wondering if you guys wore crampons on this day? We don't have any but this looks like an ideal hill for us on a clear day!

Fantastic pictures by the way, super clear!
eml00019
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:1

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland