walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Tirran

Ben Tirran

Postby macq23 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:08 pm

Route description: Ben Tirran by Loch Brandy and Wharral, Glen Clova

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 21/02/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 16.2 km

Ascent: 862m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When booking diary dates with my friends for hillwalking, there’s always the same thoughts at the back of my mind… “Please let it be a nice day!!” “Please let me have a decent view at the top!!” “Just one day of nice weather…booked in advance!”

The MWIS report the night before was very promising, nice and clear in the morning, potential snow shower, minus 18 with the wind chill, 30mph wind. Yes there was a big grin on my face when reading this. Could it be true? I’d hoped so! Well…except the minus 18 temp!!

My friend Marc suggested that we do Ben Tirran at Glen Clova, an area we know very well, and a route that would ease us back into Hillwalking. My last walk was back in November, so it has been a few months, and fitness wise…I kinda fell to pieces over Christmas and New Year, gorging myself on 3 course dinners every day over a 2 week period. I was glad Christmas and New Year was out of the way ha!

So Saturday, morning I was waiting to be picked up at 8am, at the back of Dundee near the Black Watch Memorial. It was a beautiful start to the day, taking in the nice crisp blue sky. I’m thinking “We could be onto a winner here today!”
IMG_9849.JPG
Black Watch Memorial

My chauffeur arrived and I wasn’t the only one buzzing, Marc was too. Banter flying thick and fast, we’re joking, we’re laughing, we’re in boisterous mood with the weather, turned off the A90 for Kirriemuir, admiring the hills in the distance, and BAM!! Young Bambi ran out in front of us, tried to escape but unfortunately we gave Bambi a bit of a whack. I am please to say though, Bambi is made of thick stuff as there was no sign of any injuries, Bambi was still running alongside the fence on the road, and looking for a spot to jump over. Thank goodness for that! P.S. the car also survived. The look on Bambi’s face is one I will never forget!
IMG_9978.JPG
deer

After a nice quiet drive along the bottom road of B955 through Clova, we reached the Clova Hotel, not toom many cars about and got kitted up. We were somewhat surprised at the lack of snow on the hills at Glen Clova, but it meant we would now go up the Snub as opposed to the right side of Loch Brandy.
Imagestarthotel by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

The ascent up to Loch Brandy from the hotel is fairly straight forward. The views that appears as the higher up we went, were lovely. Hill of Strone and Cairn Inks was standing out, with it sprinkled of white stuff on top.
Imagecairninks_hillofstrone_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

The very dominate Corrie of Clova is a stunning view on the left of the path. I couldn’t take m eyes of the Corrie, and I was also very grateful for the shelter it provided from the wind!!
Imagecorrieofclovabenreid_Panorama2_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

After a quick and easy start, we reached Loch Brandy, and it is looking stunning. A couple of quick photos and quickly upwards to The Snub.
Imagelochbrandy_Panorama2_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr
Imageme_lochbrandy by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

Imagelochbrandy_steepleft by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

Whilst it a nice steep ascent to the Snub, it doesn’t take long at all. Some cracking views at The Snub Cairn, with Lochnagar and Mount Keen dominating the skyline.
The Snub
Imagethesnub_lochnagar_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr
Imagethesnub_mountkeen_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

Loch Brandy was on phenomenal form from the top. I was also intrigued by the breaking ice pattern that is emerging on the Loch.
Imagelochbrandy3_Panorama1_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr
Imageloch_brandy_ice_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

The Snub :-)
Imageloch_brandy_corrie_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

White Hare....Can you see it??!!
Imagewhitehare_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

In gorgeous visibility, it was easy enough to cross the Plateau, then following the fence line to The Goet(Trig point for Ben Tirran). I really enjoyed the views from this high vantage point.
Imageben_tirran_goet_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

There might not be much snow on Ben Tirran, but Dreish and Mayar certainly was still packing it with snow 
Imagedreish_mayar2_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

I took this pano and tried to fit in all the munros that sits between Dreish and Lochnagar.
Imagegoet2_Panorama2_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

The wind had picked up at the Goet, and definitely got nippy(but definitely not that minus 18 as predicted!) so we quickly moved on, heading down towards Loch Wharral, waiting for the wind to be shelter so we can grab some lunch! Loch Wharral was also looking stunning, with more ice and snow cover than it’s sister Loch Bandy.
Imageloch_wharral_sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

After Loch Wharral, we followed the new path down to Wheen. The path itself was very soft and extremely slippy to walk on with all the sand that has been used in the construction of it. It was a nightmare to walk on…more dangerous than the icey packed snow!! Once off the path, it was a nice walk along back the B955 to the Clova Hotel, and I thought Glen Clova was looking in imperious form!
Imageglen_clova_SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

All in all......a cracking day out!! :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by macq23 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Re: Ben Tirran

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Wonderful photographs, such clarity and detail.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Ben Tirran

Postby macq23 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:29 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Wonderful photographs, such clarity and detail.

Cheers Rodmiester :D
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland