walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

To the tomb!

To the tomb!

Postby MilanBohac » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:16 pm

Route description: Rubh' an Dùnain, Glen Brittle

Date walked: 09/05/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello,
I decided to write my first ever report here, so please be nice to me if I'll do something wrong :D First, please excuse my spelling mistakes, english is not my first language, but I will try my best. For the report I chose the trip to the old tomb near the small loch of Loch na h-Airde. We did the trip in May of 2014. I took my friend Lukas with me. We stayed in Glen Brittle campsite (one of the most scenic campsites I have been to, by the way) and met there David, very wise man, who told us about the tomb near the loch on the edge of the peninsula. David also told us, that this is the tomb built by Vikings, who also built a ship canal from the loch to the sea. Later I read about the tomb and it was built probably 2nd or 3rd millennium BC.
Anyway, we started our trip from the campsite, weather was good, but clouds were low. We followed the road along the coast. The road is really easy to walk, no difficulties. There is only one place, where you must carefully cross the stream (it depends on how much it rained). If it is impossible to cross, there is an iron bridge couple of meters down the stream, but requires to go through some boggy ground.

DSC_0482.JPG
On the way toRubh an Duain

We followed the road and then took the path leading to a small hill beside the road. Although it is not very high, the views of the bay are really nice.

DSC_0483.JPG
Me on the hill:)

Then, we walked down to a place where the road goes left (couple of meters to the left are ruins of old dwellings). We left the road and went along the coast. There are some nice cliffs along the way.

DSC_0488.JPG
Cliffs

We had a problem to find the tomb since there is no path to the loch, it is well hidden. After a while we finally saw our goal. The tomb is well preserved (I guess because of its remote location). The canal is also easy to spot as well as the ruins of a Dun on the other side of the loch.

DSC_0509.JPG
The view of the loch

DSC_0492.JPG
The Tomb

DSC_0515.JPG
Isle of Rum in the distance (and in the clouds:)

There were sheep all around so we had company.

DSC_0514.JPG
Sheep

On the way back we went along the strange rocky formations, which (as I have later found out) were created in a volcanic activity. The ground above the formations is little bit boggy.

DSC_0517.JPG
Volcanic formations

DSC_0521.JPG
Volcanic formations 2

We took the same way back to the campsite (the only difference was, we didn't walk over the hill I have mentioned before). It was really interesting trip. It is not difficult to get there, but definetely worth the time. If you will stay in Glen Brittle campsite and want to see a bit of history, try Rubh an Duain 8) .

Thank you for reading this, if you have any questions, just ask me.
Milan

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by MilanBohac on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MilanBohac
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: To the tomb!

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi Milan,
well done ! :clap: Keep doing and share your trips here. Scotland is really beautiful !!!
I wish you well...
Petr
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: To the tomb!

Postby onsen » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Interesting walk.... :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland