walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A winters day on Ben Vane.

A winters day on Ben Vane.

Postby AlexFrood » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 15/02/2015

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Once again I woke up in my van in Tyndrum, this time I woke to the sounds of rain drops hammering the sheet steel of my vans roof and not the sounds of my alarm clock. Not the sound I wanted to hear when planning to head into the hills for a day in the winter mountains.

The mornings plan was to drive over to crianlarich to pick up Lauren from the bus station. A new walking partner i had met on the hill the week before on An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin ( thats another report ).

I managed to pick up Lauren even when I did wait at the wrong bus stop in crianlarich for a while. From there I drove down the road the Loch lomond visitors centre where we parked for the day before heading up Ben Vane.

Ben Vane is a hill I’ve been trying to get up most of the season but the conditions had not been right. It was also the last main summit of the Arrochar Alps I needed to summit to have summited them all this winter season.

By the time we got to the Visitors centre it had stopped raining and even a wee bit of sun was showing. As we walked the 4km access road for the hydro dam it started to on an off lightly rain again.

we reached the start of Ben Vane’s South east shoulder and it was time to start the ascent. It was snowless and boggy to start which isn’t a good sign, but looking up at to what was to come it looked good, we could see clouds covering the summit and rim sticking to the high crags we could see.

Ben Vane is a very mountainy looking mountain sports a rocky pyramid
shape.

The ascent is a continues but as we headed up from what felt like a wet autumn day into a full winter one. as we gained height the rain and bog turned to snow. By the time we were arriving at the first of the false summits the wind had picked up and the clag had closed in. The jackets were zipped up, the gloves were on and goggle shielding our eyes.

Nearing the real summit the steep snow drifts where getting bigger so it was time to get the ice axes out as well.

Soon after heading over the final snow drifts we reached the summit cairn in a white out. we quickly touched it and looked for somewhere to hide from the wind for a quick snack and break.

After a quick break it was time to retraces our steps down the mountain. as we dropped below the clag we could see a lot of snow had been moved around just in the short time we were in the clouds.

As we had dropped the wind died down but it continued to snow lightly. its wasn’t long before the snow under our feet changed to large sugar like patched which crumbed under foot, that again soon gave way to the wet bog nearing the base of the mountain.

Only thing left todo was the 4km walk out on the access road back to the visitors centre.

A day which didnt look to great when i woke up, turns out to be a really fun wintery day

hope you enjoyed this report
AlexFrood
Stravaiging

Munros:65   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:24   

Re: A winters day on Ben Vane.

Postby Mainser » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:31 pm

Did this the week before - cracking day out
Mainser
Munro compleatist

Munros:94   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland