walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue in the winter

Ben Venue in the winter

Postby donnycoll » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:36 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Ledard Farm

Grahams included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 04/03/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 729m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great winter walk,
Has taken about 5 hours.
There were a lot of deep snow drifts! was in up to my chest at one point....
I followed the river up the glen but the snow drifts were too deep so decided to head up0 the side of the hill where the snow was a lot shallower.
I followed a set of foot steps from the cairn at Creag A' Bealaich which made life easier after trudging through fresh snow on the way up.
Met the nice man at the first summit and continued onto the second summit in the lead.
Funny thing was that there were no footsteps when i got to the trig point. Within a minute there were 3 of us there at the top, all different parties. Quick chat and a laugh about the chances of that happening then off to find shelter for lunch.
Headed back to the car park but stayed high past the small hut and headed straight down the hill to the large style. saved me a lot of leg fatigue from pushing through heavy snow.

Best walk i have done in a while!
Attachments
IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2900.JPG
IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2888.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2871.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2845.JPG
IMG_2843.JPG
IMG_2841.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

donnycoll
Hill Bagger

Munros:58   Corbetts:2
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland