walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis - My 1st Munro

Ben Nevis - My 1st Munro

Postby Driver84 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 11/09/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So here we go, my second report of, my second walk.
Me, my Fiancée and her father were up here to do a sponsored walk. The girl having done a couple of Munros previously and her father up in the high 20's, and me having done a couple of hills in one previous walk (see my report on Ben Cleuch).

Having arrived up in Fort William on the Friday night as the sun was setting we never got a real glimpse of what was awaiting us on the following morning.
P1030858.jpg
sunset over Loch Eil

Up early - about 6:30 and greeted to a hearty breakfast. With lunchs and fluids packed and a final check of all the kit off we set from the caravan to the youth hostel. We thought that by starting here we would avoid much of the hussle until we had settled into the walk. Set off time 08:00.
P1030278.jpg
Happy walkers

What a slog it was! By this point I was sick fed up of the steps and was looking for just some simple slopes. Thighs burning, hard, but setting wee stops at landmark increments were welcoming. Thigh burning aside I was surprised at how well I was coping.
P1030867.jpg
on the climb up

P1030877.jpg
nearing the red burn and "flat" land

When we had set off we had planned for the crossing of the burn to be our first proper rest stop, but having hit this and pausing for photos only, we were feeling quite about ourselves and decided to continue.
P1030883.jpg
looking up the burn

P1030891.jpg
Looking back down the burn

Onwards and upwards we went now only to be met with some cloud rolling in...
P1030894.jpg
rolling cloud

but it never lasted and soon rolled off and out of sight letting the warm sun hit us direct.
We were now passed the huge zig-zag section of the path and onto the stoney ground past all the cairns, but uh-oh, we have a problem! severe cramp hit me and I crumbled. Time for a stop, I think, for a good stretching off of the calf and some fluid and food intake.
P1030302.jpg
Rest time

So with my leg "ok" we set off again for the last short haul up to the summit and about 10-15 mins later here we were...
hoaching with all sorts.
Time for photos at the summit
P1030305.jpg
me and the father-in-law

P1030320.jpg
father-in-law and ma girl

the uneven ground was wrecking havoc on my calf and now i was unable to place my foot flat on the ground. walking back down was going to be fun! but we stopped for a proper feed and took in the surrounding views.
P1030312.jpg

P1030316.jpg

By now the full heat of the sun was beaming down on us and fluids were running low, and with the pain shooting through my right leg this was going to be awful. we managed to stick together to the burn where the cold water made for much needed refreshment as I soaked myself in it to cool off. For the rest of the decent I told the others just to go off at their own pace, I was more than happy to work my way down at my own pace.

As it turned out, making my way down towards the bridge over to the youth hostel, I was only half an hour behind the rest but what was needed most was dip into the River Nevis, and my did it feel good!

But hey, it was over, we had done what we had set out to do, and all in the name of charity, the person we were doing this for was in a much worse state than all of us collectively and that made it all the worthwhile. We had done our wee bit.
We were a happy bunch when we had set off, but here we were 7 - 7.5 hours later feeling a little worse for ware. But this was it, my 1st Munro, and what a one to start with!
P1030329.jpg
We're finished, but where's the smiles now?

Driver84
Walker

Munros:45   
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Nevis - My 1st Munro

Postby mountain coward » Sun May 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Blimey - I only just typed we look forward to your Munro reports when there one was! :lol:

Not surprised you got cramp with a start like the one from the Youth Hostel, especially if you weren't too used to hill-walking beforehand - that is steep pretty much from the word go - the Achintee path is better for ascent really... still, you live and learn :D

Some nice, unusual pics there of the Ben - you nearly make the tourist route look interesting! :D
mountain coward

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun May 30, 2010 8:24 pm

mountain coward wrote:Blimey - I only just typed we look forward to your Munro reports when there one was! :lol:

Not surprised you got cramp with a start like the one from the Youth Hostel, especially if you weren't too used to hill-walking beforehand - that is steep pretty much from the word go - the Achintee path is better for ascent really... still, you live and learn :D

Some nice, unusual pics there of the Ben - you nearly make the tourist route look interesting! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:09 am

well done, Ben Nevis was my first Munro too. We did it at the end of April last year and had to go through deep snow for 40 mins. Very surprised at your pics of the summit, we only had a small step up onto it from the snow. :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:122   Corbetts:21
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   

Postby freudianmark » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 am

Well done - and a good report too.
freudianmark
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland