walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cold Fell

Cold Fell

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Fell

Date walked: 08/03/2015

Time taken: 3.45

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 656m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I haven't put a Live Report on here for a few months and have instead opted to put a few pictures and stripped down blog notes of the walks I've been doing on my personal walk diary (they can still be checked out by clicking on my username though for anyone interested :D ).

However, with yesterday being my first new Hewitt since October, I've decided to make this one live.

After Saturday's awful weather it was a pleasant relief to see much better weather when I woke up on Sunday morning in Long Marton.

After getting dropped off at Halbankgate I initially took a wrong turn and headed towards Tindale Tarn before rectifying my error and following the road (past the obvious car park) to it's end at Howgill.

Heading for Howgill.JPG
On the road heading for Howgill

From here I followed a wet and muddy path up the hill alongside Howgill Beck until it petered out to nothing more than a faint muddy track at the top of the moor.

On Open Moor.JPG
On the open moor above Howgill

Path fading away.JPG
The path was always there but become much more faint on the open moorland

Eventually I reached the fence line which I knew would take me to the top of Cold Fell. This was rough and wet but soon enough I was sitting in the shelter next to the huge cairn and Trig Point.

Follow the fence to the summit.JPG
Once I found this fence line I knew that it was a sure guide to the summit

Cold Fell summit.JPG
Cold Fell Summit

Air clarity was good and I could see the obvious ridge leading down Brown Fell (with the fence still there to act as a sure fire guide in bad weather) and to the public footpath heading to Gairs.

With time on my side I decided to add a few miles and a bit of extra ascent by visiting the tops of Simmerson Hill and Talkin Fell. I was glad I did as these two small outliers proved to be far more pleasant summits than Cold Fell itself - a pattern which seems to be quite common in the North Pennines (Dufton and Murton Pike spring straight to mind). Talkin Fell especially had a grand summit with great views, a Trig Point and several large cairns (not unlike the cairns on Nine Standards Rigg) while Simmerson Hill also sported a large cairn albeit protected by thick heather.

Fell 2.JPG
Simmerson Hill ahead now as I follow the fence over Brown Fell

Towards Grains.JPG
Looking up the valley towards Grains

Cold Fell from Fell 2.JPG
Cold Fell from the cairn on Simmerson Hill

Towards Talkin Fell.JPG
Talkin Fell from Simmerson Hill

Talkin Fell and standards.JPG
The top of Talkin Fell

I then retraced my steps back to the muddy bridleway leading down to the road at Forest Head which I then followed before diverting off to the curious little rise of Greenlea Cross (complete with Pylons etc).

Back to road.JPG
Heading towards the road

Forrest Head.JPG
Forest Head

Top.JPG
Greenlea Cross

Eventually I diverted off the main track to follow field paths back across to Halbankgate. I was now too early for my lift so opted to walk along the main road, through Milton, until I got to the Main Junction with the A69 where I met up with my lift.

Field path to Halbankgate.JPG
Field path back to Halbankgate

A nice little walk this one particularly if you add in the two outlying tops. Cold Fell itself is pretty boggy in parts but not as bad as some of the other more Southern North Pennines and apart from one short stretch across the moorland is well pathed throughout.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:92   Corbetts:17
Grahams:4   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:271
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Cold Fell

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:55 am

Happy memories for me from this one Broggy, I stayed with a friend in Brampton years ago and he suggested we hike Cold Fell (seems like so long ago now) anyway, it was boggy as hell and looks pretty similar in your shots :lol: Thanks for sharing it really brought me home for a while :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland