walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch)

Carn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch)

Postby chaserjay » Sun May 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch)

Date walked: 29/05/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch).
As part of the Outta Affric Walking Festival, this walk was, for me at least, a refresher course in navigation skills. There were ten of us and Tim, the 'instructor'.
Not everyone's name can I remember, but I can say that the company of my fellow navigators was excellent. The forecast was not to good, but setting out, looked more promising than stated. A short drive from Bog Cotton cafe to the damn at Loch Mullardoch . It was not long before all were discarding layers. Tim had us pacing, taking bearings, Naismiths Rule calculating and that was only in the short walking along the banks of the loch.

Soon after the start of the ascent , in and on our path, we were stopped by a serpent of the devil, an adder. Its apparent urge to attack could be seen in its reptilian smirk, as its slimy tongue darted erratically in and out. I turned round to the others and instructed the men to take care of the women, whom , on sight of the scaley scarer, had went into a state of fear and deep shock. That is not to say that the men present were not showing signs of extreme fearfulness, but I managed to inspire them to at least hold it together, comfort the ladies until I dealt with this grass dwelling monster. I knew what I had to do. I got my camera out and quickly took some photographs of it. After two or three different poses, the snake slowly slinked into the undergrowth. The group's paralysis eased. Tim thanked me for my considered reaction and we moved on, high on the incident, but so relieved to be alive.
IMGP1822.JPG

The rain eventually commenced when we reached the top of Mullach na Maoile, but we did manage a beautiful water stop, half way up the steep boggy trudge.

We were educated on the much varied plant life, from Tim, such as identification of blaeberry, crowberry, cowberry and cloud berry, different mosses and flora, all extremely interesting and enlightening.
the rain battered down, but was also exhilarating.
IMGP1831.JPG

Previously, in January of this year, I and friends had a bad experience( or maybe it was good)in Glen Affric. read this http://chaserjay.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/ice-cold-in-affric/ , hence the reason for the refresher in navigation
Attachments
IMGP1828.JPG
chaserjay
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   

Re: Carn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch)

Postby monty » Mon May 31, 2010 9:50 am

Nice little story Chaserjay,
Your such a star, looking after all your compatriots in such a manner, and getting a photo of the serpent into the bargain :lol: Thats the second serpent picture this week. Nice waterfall. :D I hope your navigation skills are now honed :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland