walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Thwarted by wind and bog on Beinn Tharsuinn

Thwarted by wind and bog on Beinn Tharsuinn

Postby dogplodder » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Tharsuinn, near Alness

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Tharsuinn (Ardross)

Date walked: 10/03/2015

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a night of 80 mph gusts we were lured by a window of lighter winds and sunshine to set our sights on Torr Leathann and Beinn Tharsuinn which lie to the west of Alness. They are hills I see every day from my kitchen window and I figured it was time I got up there. Having taught at Alness Academy this was familiar turf for Moira, with memories of school outings into the area, though she'd never climbed these hills.

We parked in the large parking area off the B9176 immediately north of the Strathrory bridge, figuring we'd be the only car, but were soon joined by a highway maintenance vehicle which swung in beside us as we were booting up. I wondered why when there was such a large space he came right up beside us but what followed was even stranger. The driver got out, walked purposely to the edge of the parking area, picked up three large rocks one by one, put them in the vehicle and drove off. It wasn't clear whether these were three particular rocks or random ones but whichever it was he went straight to them with no faffing.

That was the last we saw of human life for the rest of the walk but there was plenty of evidence of human life in the discarded bottles and cans, dumped televisions and abandoned household junk spoiling what would otherwise be the start of an attractive country walk. What goes through the minds of folk who deliberately drive to a spot like this to dump their rubbish is difficult to fathom.

River Strathrory near start of walk
DSC_2467-large.JPG

The wide track provides an easy approach following the river and giving views ahead to Torr Leathann and Beinn Tharsuinn for much of the way. A few minutes into the walk the dogs came across three recently cut deer legs discarded on the track and must have thought it was their birthday until I prised their booty out of their mouths and put them on the lead. The funny thing was on our return there was no sign of the deer legs and if they'd been anywhere around the dogs would have been sure to sniff them out. So to add to the mystery of the three stolen rocks we had the mystery of the three missing deer legs. 8)

Wide track with view of our hills
DSC_2470-large.JPG

We were soon out of the trees and onto open moorland.

DSC_2471-large.JPG

Once through the first metal gate we had company in the shape of sheep feeding from red buckets of supplementary feed left on the track. It looked like a cross between grit and mollasses and, judging from the number of them with their heads in the buckets, they like it! They looked like ewes due to lamb in April and it was reassuring to see the care the farmer was taking of his livestock. I put the dogs on lead as a running sheep is very hard for Jack to resist and they didn't seem unduly concerned about our appearance, walking along the track just ahead of us as far as the second metal gate. Whether they had designs on getting through the gate I don't know but we made sure that didn't happen. :wink:

Moira muffled up against the wind
DSC_2475-large.JPG

Sheep waiting at the second gate
DSC_2476-large.JPG

Once through the gate and after I was satisfied there were no more sheep I let the dogs off the lead.

Evidence of heavy rain the night before (Moira's photo)
10998857_10153106264463788_6295460719843042418_n-large.jpg

The plan was to climb Torr Leathann (on left) first
DSC_2478-large.JPG

Windfarm on Beinn Tharsuinn's north east shoulder - and despite the strong wind they weren't moving
DSC_2477-large.JPG

Point where track crosses the Strathrory
DSC_2479-large.JPG

River Strathrory
DSC_2481-large.JPG

The track ends at the quarry and you take a path up the right side of the quarry which peters out in the wet tussocky ground above it.

Looking into quarry pool below - it's further down than it looks
DSC_2482-large.JPG

Dogs above the quarry
DSC_2483-large.JPG

From the top of the quarry there is no path so it's a case of following a line up the shoulder of Torr Leathann which means weaving through an initially wet area which becomes drier further up - though with the recent heavy rain nowhere today was going to be what you'd call dry!

Dogs enjoying one of many watering holes
DSC_2485-large.JPG

The ground was tussocky but not steep and no knee high heather to wade through, just a steady slog up
DSC_2487-large.JPG

North east to Dornoch Firth
DSC_2488-large.JPG

East to starting point
DSC_2489-large.JPG

South east to Cromarty Firth
DSC_2491-large.JPG

Torr Leathann summit (637m) and south west to Ben Wyvis
DSC_2490-large.JPG

Windfarm from cairn
DSC_2492-large.JPG

Level top
DSC_2493-large.JPG

After 80 mph gusts causing structural damage the night before the wind had lost much of its ferocity (or we'd not have been able to stand up there) but the wind chill was still significant. When I took off my rucksack I found the waist strap had loosened and my map was gone - and was probably already half way to Dornoch. Just as well I could remember the route, we had good visibility and Moira had put the route into her GPS. While waiting at the cairn I put on an extra layer and we sat down to get some calories in for the final leg over to Beinn Tharsuinn. But staying still and strong wind isn't a good mix and by the time we got going I was feeling chilled with numb hands. I should have changed my normal gloves for my thick ski gloves but didn't stop to do that and by the time we reached the col between the hills I wasn't in any mood to look closely for a way across the peat hags as the pain from my hands was running up my arms. While I faffed clumsily changing gloves with numb hands Moira was looking for a way across, sticking her pole through the frozen surface into a four foot depth of black gloop. Not a good idea to attempt to walk across that then. :shock:

We wandered about looking for a way across and I remembered someone's report describing taking a detour south to a point where they were able to jump across. But the cold wind and the fact Moira had to be back early made it (unusually for us) not too difficult to decide to pull the plug and get down out of that wind. Rather than retrace our steps over the top we traversed round the side of the hill and thankfully found some shelter from the wind.

Descending from the col and the bog that defeated us
DSC_2496-large.JPG

From there we fixed our eye on the top of the quarry and made for it in a more or less straight line, or as straight as the boggy ground would allow.

There was a silver lining to the cloud of not reaching our intended goal because we got back to the car with time to spare which meant we could stop off at Storehouse of Foulis for the best cup of hot chocolate, marshmallows and cream I've ever tasted. :D

A year later on 23rd March 2016 we were back to finish the job..... but I never got round to updating the report.

We followed the same route as far as the quarry but there had been a few changes from the previous year. The track had been widened, presumably to take larger vehicles, and when we reached the entrance to the quarry the path we had taken up the side of it had disappeared and there was evidence of recent work going on.

Quarry
DSC04308-large.JPG

So we veered off to the right taking a direct line towards Beinn Tharsuinn. Not much to say about that except it was a bit of a slog over lumpy heathery ground with some bogginess lower down but nothing like the bogginess that had thwarted us the first time round!

View back to vehicle track from slopes of Tharsuinn
DSC04293-large.JPG

It was a duller day than a year earlier and the white turbines stood out against a drab brown landscape.

DSC04299-largel.JPG

Torr Leathann from Beinn Tharsuinn showing path leading to black line of bog
DSC04302-largel.JPG

I've used my photo allowance so will add a summit pic in a post. Glad to get this one finally wrapped up! :D
Last edited by dogplodder on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Thwarted by wind and bog on Beinn Tharsuinn

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:29 am

Lovely little hill, this one :D Such a shame you didn't get to the summit, but views from the lower top are just as good. The report you mentioned could have been mine - we had problems crossing that col, too and we descended a bit down the southern slopes, where the peat hag is narrow.

On the very same day we were on Tarmachan Ridge and it was so cold my hands went numb in thick ski gloves :?

Rubbish dumping is a big problem in woods around Beauly, especially in the woods around Kirkhill. In summer time I often do a bit of cycling around, once I saw an old set of sofa and armchairs left on the edge of the forest. Not to mention black bags full of God knows what, found regularly in ditches along minor roads... I could go on like that forever...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby basscadet » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:45 pm

Shame you had such a chilly wind, the views from the wee hills round there are surprisingly good :)
I tried a similar route with my dad a couple of years ago, but we were thwarted by the gamekeeper saying no before we even had our boots on (stalking season) :(
But Foulis Ferry is always on the list of places to go - you never get a bad anything there, and even the tourist shop isn't as rip-off as most :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Some smashing pics here - we've been eyeing this one up for a while, but its obviously not for a windy day. Thanks for letting us see the first part of the route - and wise call - you can always come back :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Great to see Jack and Tess still enjoying hill days :clap:
Being Thwarted means you get to go back to settle the score 8)
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:59 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Lovely little hill, this one :D Such a shame you didn't get to the summit, but views from the lower top are just as good. The report you mentioned could have been mine - we had problems crossing that col, too and we descended a bit down the southern slopes, where the peat hag is narrow.

Yes BP it was yours! I read it before going and again after we'd been. I think if the wind hadn't been coming from the south we'd have been more tempted to do what you did. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 pm

A week ago today we climbed this hill and when I got home I got the news my 91 year old mum had a chest infection. When I saw her the next day she was very unwell with a fever but on Thursday she had perked up enough for me to think she'd pull through and I was feeling positive enough to write this report. But over the weekend she became worse and today she died. I think I'm still in shock and can't quite believe she won't be there any more for me to tell about my latest outing into the hills. Just at the moment I feel I'll not have the heart to post another report because she's not there to hear about it.... but I imagine in time that feeling will fade.
dogplodder

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:07 pm

I'm so sorry about your mother, DP. What a shock it must have been for you. I wish you all the best for the next few days especially and I'm sure in your own time you will be back in the hills - they are very consoling. Let me know when you are next coming over to the west coast.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:13 pm

My sincere condolences, too.... I don't know what else to say.

Annie is right - the hills can have that healing effect. They will always be there, ready to take the pain away.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby litljortindan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Sorry for your loss.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:29 pm

basscadet wrote:Shame you had such a chilly wind, the views from the wee hills round there are surprisingly good :)

As you say the views are pretty good considering it's on the east side. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Some smashing pics here - we've been eyeing this one up for a while, but its obviously not for a windy day. Thanks for letting us see the first part of the route - and wise call - you can always come back :D :D

This would be a doddle for you and your pack! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Great to see Jack and Tess still enjoying hill days :clap:
Being Thwarted means you get to go back to settle the score 8)

Agreed - though I'm not sure that with so much else on our list we'll be returning to this one any time soon! 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 01, 2015 3:53 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:I'm so sorry about your mother, DP. What a shock it must have been for you. I wish you all the best for the next few days especially and I'm sure in your own time you will be back in the hills - they are very consoling. Let me know when you are next coming over to the west coast.

Thanks Annie. This has been the hardest report to come back to as it's about the day my mum was ill and I didn't know until I got back. I even posted this report two days later when she seemed a bit better and I thought she was going to recover.

It would be lovely to meet up and we do have some western hills on the radar so will let you know if we're coming your way! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 01, 2015 3:56 pm

BlackPanther wrote:My sincere condolences, too.... I don't know what else to say.

Annie is right - the hills can have that healing effect. They will always be there, ready to take the pain away.

Thanks BP - much appreciated. :)
dogplodder

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland