walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn Gorm Snowhole

Cairn Gorm Snowhole

Postby mgmt! » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Route description: Cairn Gorm and the northern corries

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 15/03/2015

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Be careful what you commit yourself too, Lisa from club has asked if i fancied building and sleeping in a snow hole ? it was on some bucket list or other. She has been asking from the first of the winter snow when we would be going. I must admit i wasnt looking forward to it as i hadnt done it before and was a bit apprehensive of how it would pan out. Anyway the forecast this weekend was very good, we got the nod from Peter in the club who was doing a snow hole this week as part of his winter ml coarse on a decent site, so there was no holding us back.
Milesy was supposed to be coming up with us but got delayed, we gave him a grid refrence for our site and travelled north to the car park for cairn gorm. Our intended site was about 500 metres east of the highest ski tow at the ptarmigan restaurant. we set of with heavy laden with over night gear and took it easy heading up the tourist track to cairn gorm. Weather was perfect, blue skies light wind, it was all very alpine esq.
When we got to our site we met with 6 guys from the north of England, they had dug 2 snow holes, 1 large one where they intended to sleep and 1 to cook in. They offered us there cooking hole to sleep in but we said we wanted to have a go and dig our own. Was good to no we always had the option if we failed. It was 4pm when we started th e dig.
P3140498 (640x480) (2).jpg
Lisa starting the dig

i wont go into the technicalities of how to dig a snow hole, what i will say is its bloody hard work :crazy: it took us 3 and a half hours of back breaking digging before we finally shaped something resembling a usable snow hole .
P3140499 (640x480).jpg
2 sweaty diggers

Just on cue Milesy showed up, we didnt think he was coming his last txt had said he had stopped at Dalwhinnie and was feeling poorly. We opted for him to sleep in the other guys spare shelter as i certainly could have started to dig some more.
P3140501 (640x480).jpg
Milesy arrives at our des res

we wasted no time in getting our dinner on, i was feeling very dehydrated, and was glad of the well 30 metres fro the snow hole.
P3140503 (640x480).jpg
dinner time

after we had eaten it was only about 8pm, it was a lovely starry night, we wernt far from the summit of cairn gorm so we decided to do a bit of night navigation and head to the summit.
P3140506 (640x480).jpg
getting ready to head to the summit

we took a bearing for the top ski tow and one straight to the summit. there is something magical about being on the mountains at night and even better with a clear sky and the stars in full bloom. we reached the summit and took the obligatory summit shots
P3140507 (640x480).jpg
Lisa at the summit
P3140510 (640x480).jpg
summit picture

We sat at the summit with our head torches off, just looking at the stars and enjoying the moment. then it was time to make our way back to the snow hole for a wee dram before we turned in.
P3150511 (640x480).jpg
night cap

i dont no what it is with me but i never seem to take good pictures, i was so busy digging the hole there was no time to take pictures and the cold took the life out of my camera during the night but i did manage 1 shot of the entrance in the morning
P3150517 (640x480).jpg
entrance

P3150516 (640x480).jpg
view of ben avon from our site

All in all it was a great wee trip and one i was glad to have done, it was a cold night, i would have made our sleeping platforms a bit wider as i could feel the coldness of the walls during the night , not to mention i was a bit claustrophobic. Seeing as we were in the cairngorms and high up (1100 metres ) Lisa,s compromise for me helping her with her snow hole was a traverse over to coire an t sneachda for a solo climb of crotched gully , we didnt have the space or weight for ropes and gear but i will do another trip report for that, this report has taken me all night :crazy:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: Cairn Gorm Snowhole

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:16 am

Wow, from the comfort of my desk at work I'd say I'd quite fancy trying that....... :lol:
Well done :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:43 am

Fantastic effort...3.5hours ...gulp! :shock: The snow hole looked great and at least from the pictures pretty cosy :D
Well done to all of you!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby mgmt! » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for the replies, for all the sweat involved I'm actually dying to get back out and do it again
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Milesy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Nice one Michael. I managed to get a bunch of photos as well, of both the digging and also the next day down into Sneachda etc! I'll upload them for you.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:52 am

Jeez that's not a hole, that's a snow 'mansion'!
Only stayed once in a snowhole on a winter survival course...barely room for one, with no doric columns at the entrance. Nicely done and looks like a great outing.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Jimmy Craghopper » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:39 am

Nice one michael its alot nicer than Maryhill :clap: :clap: :clap: Hope too catch up with you this year and maybe throw in a couple of corbetts
Jimmy Craghopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:40
Fionas:10   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby gman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:56 am

Very luxurious, looks like hard work though :clap:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gaffr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:26 am

Maybe a wee refinement.... but smoothing off the edges in the roof/walls can control the dripping when the chamber warms up. But perhaps you left the entrance open to allow cold air to circulate? :-)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:34 am

Wow! That 'snow hole' should be on Grand Designs :-) It's palatial! In fact ..I'm moving in soon as ...Squatters Rights....what's the grid reference? :clap: The Llarig Ghru and the Rothiemurcus Forest are my favourite places. I 'bounced' the Cairngorm 4000ers and wild camped on Angels Peak with the wild reindeer. It's awesome out there..doing it again soon hopefully.
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland