walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Bheinn and some hailstones

Glas Bheinn and some hailstones

Postby malky_c » Mon May 31, 2010 11:06 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Assynt)

Date walked: 18/12/2008

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 525m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Site visit in Kylesku the week before christmas, and I thought I'd get one last work-related walk in. It had been a pretty successful December, managing to get out twice a week on average. Weather had warmed dramatically earlier in the week, but was heading back towards cold and windy.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Was finished on site by 10, so drove to the carpark at the top of the hill and contemplated options. Weather too windy, grey and showery to be worth doing any of the Quinaig, and Braebeg looking less interesting, so went for Glas Bheinn. Steep scree/grass ascent up side of ridge got me onto the crest, then the rest was easy. Got a face-full of hailstones here though, which reminded me that walking in shorts in December had its drawbacks. Cloud on actual summit, but some views for most of route. Returned by much the same route, although cut a short section of ridge out. Was only on hill for 1 hour 45 min. Not an amazing day out, but a nice shift of the cobwebs, and was back in the office by 3 to finish off some paperwork. This hill is more interesting than it appears, and would make a great evening walk on a nice day, as the views would be good.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland