walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short stop in Alligin (December 2008)

A short stop in Alligin (December 2008)

Postby malky_c » Mon May 31, 2010 11:34 pm

Fionas included on this walk: An Ruadh-mheallan

Date walked: 10/12/2008

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 450m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: An Ruadh-mheallan
Date walked: 10/12/2008
Time taken: 2 hours
Distance: 5 km
Ascent: 450m
Weather: Calm, cold and overcast, but with nice light

Another quick clearing of the closet from 2008 (again a little short on photos). Site visits in Lochcarron and Diabaig meant I was in the Torridon area after lunch. There had been some lethal early morning ice on the Achnasheen road, with about 5 cars in the ditch in a 3 mile stretch, but luckily this had thawed by the time I was round at Diabaig, and I enjoyed a scenic drive round, the corries of Beinn Bhan looking impressive enough to stop for a photo.

I parked at the high point of the road and threaded my way around various outcrops and lochans - not really the terrain for walking in a straight line!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I hit the snowline at about 450m, but it was only soft stuff, so made easy progress to the summit. Conditions were slightly overcast but still with great views of Loch Torridon, Ben Damh and out to Skye etc. There were also some nice shafts of sunlight on the surrounding hills.

Towards Gairloch:

Beinn Alligin:

Beinn Damh and Loch Damh:

Beinn Shieldaig and Beinn Bhan:

While I definitely recommend this hill as a viewpoint, it isn't a very good place to see the most popular Torridon peaks, as they are mostly blocked out by one of the less interesting shoulders of Ben Alligin. It was a great spot to be standing on a rather short winter's afternoon though.

I returned almost the same route, but ended up a bit further down the road and walked back up the final hill to the van. Despite the fiddly ground on the approach, this walk didn't take much more than an hour and a half. It was probably around this point that I really got stuck into the Grahams in a big way, having found a fair few lumps like this one in the preceding weeks to have provided great views.
Last edited by malky_c on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Short stop in Torridon

Postby Alastair S » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:14 am

malky_c wrote:Site visits in Lochcarron and Diabaig

Sounds like a good number you got going there malky :mrgreen:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: A short stop in Alligin (December 2008)

Postby malky_c » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:10 am

Now with full report and photos added.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: A short stop in Alligin (December 2008)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:42 am

Some beautiful light on them shots :)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland