walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach an t-Sidhean - should've waited till later

Cruach an t-Sidhean - should've waited till later

Postby rob munbett » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Cruach an t-Sidhein

Date walked: 22/03/2015

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This Graham has been niggling away at me for some time. Which was the best way to approach it? Today, I decided to walk in from Glen Douglas. I set off sharp .... too sharp as it turned out because my walk in and time on the summit was shrouded in low cloud but, wouldn't you know it, ten minutes off the summit and everything cleared. Ah well! (So all my photos are from the way down)
I parked in Glen Douglas in the Tullich Hill car park and walked a km and a half west along the road and crossed the MOD bridge. I followed the outside of the high fence round to the left and reached a wooden gate which I crossed. Turning south here, I climbed steeply, again beside the fence until it turned right. I continued climbing high above the fence and contoured round the steep hillside, which was a bit of a killer on knees and ankles. Coming over a rise, I could finally see up the Cona Ghleann and aim for the small dam at the reservoir.
P1020691_edited-1.jpg
Looking up Cona Ghleann to Cruach an t-Sidhean
There were a few streams in narrow ravines to negotiate but nothing too troubling. I eventually dropped down and crossed the dam.
P1020689_edited-1.jpg
The dam in Cona Ghleann
I started up the west side of the glen, making a rising traverse through some sparse plantings until I reached the north ridge of the hill, where I found a straight-line fence which was reassuring in the murk.
P1020688_edited-1.jpg
Climbing the west side of Cona Ghleann
The fence veered to the right before the final climb to the summit up tussocky steps. By now, there was some snow off to the side and visibility was very limited. The cairn, though, was easily found but despite hanging around in the biting wind for about 10 minutes, there wasn't a view to be had.
P1020681.JPG
The summit cairn .... and view
I decided just to retrace my upward route but at least on the way down I enjoyed the views and the warmth on my back.
P1020685.JPG
Coming down from the summit
P1020684.JPG
The view down the ridge, Cona Ghleann and Glen Douglas
Maybe this is the best route if climbing Cruach on its own?
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:91   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland