walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar and more, from Auchallater, What a day!

Lochnagar and more, from Auchallater, What a day!

by The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 21/03/2015

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 36.63 km

Ascent: 1542m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Lochnagar and more, from Auchallater, What a day!

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:40 pm

BlackPanther wrote:What a cracker! I always wondered if any Walkhighlander would try to bag all 5 Muick M's from this side - glad you enjoyed it! And on a lovely, bright day :D

I have some good memories from Glen Callater, we climbed Carn an t-Sagairt Mor and Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach from this direction, sadly didn't have enough time to continue to the other 3 (did the rest from Loch Muick side). I remember we found quite a few bits of the wrecked plane - a piece of wing, parts of the engine, scattered all over the western slopes of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor. It was a Canberra bomber that crashed in November 1956, the cause of the accident is still unknown!
A piece of Canberra:

Thanks for the info on the crashed Canberra bomber, I remember seeing the remnants when I first climbed it, it must be well over twenty years ago. I think Scottish Kenny started from the Callater side having cycled up the glen. I'm still hoping to do it from Glen Doll somtime before I get too old and return over the Capel Month, now that would be an epic journey, just think I might be too tired to drive home after that :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Lochnagar and more, from Auchallater, What a day!

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Some round that Rod, never seen them done from that side, well played :clap:

Thanks Beaner! now for starting and finishing at Glen Doll, I don't think thats been done yet, will save it for the summer I think :lol: :lol: Your dogs would have had a field day with all the wild life :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland