walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Hill of Stake - a Story of Bikes and a Bog

The Hill of Stake - a Story of Bikes and a Bog

Postby Quadbarrel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:50 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Stake

Date walked: 21/03/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 600m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We have an afternoon free, so it's time to do our usual cycle off the train, which is usually along a FLAT, TARMAC TRACK (e.g. Alloa to Dunfermline, Kilsyth to Glasgow). So, time to find a nice new route, following the usual brief, huh?

However, this cycle/walk is on walkhighlands, which means that it is not any of these things :roll:

Hill of Stake.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It sounded like a good idea...

So, we got the train down to Lochwinnoch and cycled up to the Clyde Muirshiel visitor centre, which was mobbed (don't blame everyone - the weather was beautiful). We then left the tarmac and headed off on the mine track, which we've never done before (been up Windy Hill loads as a wee kid, though). The views were unexpectedly good.

1.JPG
Windy Hill on the right, Glasgow behind

2.JPG
Glasgow and the Inverkip power lines

3.JPG

We reached the end of the track and had a look around the mines.

4.JPG
The old mines

5.JPG
We managed to get past the grey fence, but then we were stopped by this amazing one

We then said bye-bye to the track and ploughed on over the moors - how hard can it be?

6.JPG
I think the word 'ploughed' was a tad optimistic!

7.JPG
This is my 'I'm going to die' face

The trudge up the mountain gave us an insight into the very obvious reasons that humans use tracks to get around, and that bikes usually stay on them.

However, we did eventually reach the top of the Hill of Stake (gosh, I could have gone some steak up there :wink: )

8.JPG
This is when dad gets you to smile for the camera when it's the last thing you feel like doing

9.JPG
We got our first views out to the south-west of Arran and Cumbrae

10.JPG
Misty Law is the furthest away one - guess where we're going!

11.JPG

12.JPG
I really doubt this photo has ever been taken nor will be taken anytime soon with bikes in it

13.JPG
Busy

14.JPG
Neil Armstrong on the moon has nothing on us...

However, when the time did come to head off and embark on the 3km of hell to Misty Law, it wasn't as bad as we thought it could be... :o

15.JPG
A path!!!

Unfortunately the path was not fantastically good and rideable, and I sunk into a bog up to my knee, but it was relatively easy going to Misty Law relative to what we had done to get up the Hill of Stake.

16.JPG
The Hill of Stake is behind me

The sun began to set and the colours were amazing.

17.JPG
Glasgow

18.JPG
Ben Lomond and his mates

19.JPG
More Glasgow

20.JPG
Dad's 'beat that' face

We headed down the back of Misty Law to have a snack, begging that the track that could save us and take us to Lochwinnoch did actually exist... (you know how you get that niggling doubt even though you were absolutely sure when it didn't matter so much...)

21.JPG
It did!!!

The track wasn't good quality at all, but we didn't care about that, because it was amazing fun.

22.JPG
Splash!!! (Only took us 3 goes)

23.JPG
The setting sun and a sheep?

We seem to be really good at finding sheep in really cool photos :roll:

It was great fun heading back down to Lochwinnoch, and when we made it onto the tarmac, that has to be close to the fastest I've ever been on a bike?

It was a shame that it was time to go home :(

24.JPG
River Ayr Way tomorrow though!

Can we just make a final apology to all the people on that train with the people who smelt of bog :crazy: 8) .
Last edited by Quadbarrel on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quadbarrel
Mountaineer

Munros:132   Corbetts:31
Grahams:29   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:31   

Re: The Hill of Stake - a Story of Bikes and a Bog

Postby robertphillips » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:17 pm

well done guys cant beleive you cycled up there,my local hill its rough going even for walking. :clap:
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:405   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:25

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland