walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

6 snowy Munros - Early Bird at Glenshee

6 snowy Munros - Early Bird at Glenshee

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 25/03/2015

Time taken: 6.59 hours

Distance: 25.6 km

Ascent: 1340m

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forecast sounded very well for most of areas in Scotland for the wednesday and it allowed wider selection of Mountains. :D 8) :clap: Thinking between 2 Munros at Black Mount from Victoria Bridge and rest of Munros from Glenshee I decided for Glenshee as there was possibility to do 6 Munros together in one route and move me to 80 Munros completed. Another reason for this decision was the change of time to Summer time following weekend and it will mean that the daylight will start later on beginning, which is not good for me as I prefer start early to get back home early in week days. This route allowes me early start in darkness and walk on the road A93 on beginning until the sunrise catches me before turning to hills ( have torch ready, just in case ).
Despite the habits that usual start point for this circle is from the park layby 2 km north of Ski Centre and the walking 5 km on the road A93 after finishing the walk in mountains, I decided to do it opposite...leave my car on the parking layby at Devil's Elbow, start the walk in darkness on the road A93 via Ski Centre and then get straight to the carpark after descending the last Munro. :wink:
I woke up at 00:30 am, unwanted - as my alarm was set for 01:30 !!! :shock: :crazy: prepared all necessary stuff and gear, spent more time at home yet before I left at 02:40. After short stop at Tesco I continued my way to the mountains and I got there at 04:50. After fueled myself by banana ( banana skin into bin - of course ) :lol: :wink: I started at 05:06 heading to the start point ( 5 km walk on A93 ) via Ski centre. Temperature was minus 3 dg of Celsius and I felt the fresh freezy air... :D
DSCF0823.JPG
Devil's Elbow car park, before start at darkness
:roll:
DSCF0826.JPG
Glenshee Ski Centre and Carn Aosda behind, daylight is comming slowly...
DSCF0834.JPG
my fans supported me from top
:lol: :lol: :D
DSCF0839.JPG
Finally the car park - usual start point for this route, after 5 km of walk on A93. My first target Carn an Tuirc ahead in distance
DSCF0858.JPG
Ascending the 1st Munro and looking back, snow on the slopes
:D
DSCF0862.JPG
Almost on top, some nice views around
DSCF0865.JPG
The shelter and summit of Carn an Tuirc, happy for clear blue sky and great visibility...meantime as I will see later
DSCF0871.JPG
Photo from the summit, some inversion ahead...
DSCF0872.JPG
there is my way...into the mist on the East
:roll:
DSCF0873.JPG
The South is clear meantime...
DSCF0878.JPG
Getting into the whiteout - not visibility soon, I saw a small group of walkers from the valley before 1st top, following me by approx. 1.5 km distance, I did not know if they want do 4 Munros only or complete all 6 and i guessed they will probably follow my footprints because of not visibility around. to save them some unexpected effort and time I decided make this little help for them
:wink:
DSCF0881.JPG
Looking back...my footprints in the middle of nowhere
:lol: 8)
DSCF0883.JPG
2nd Munro - summit of Tolmount. there was not visibility - not photos ( almost ) from the part of my way between no.1, no.2 and no.3
:( :?
DSCF0888.JPG
Ascending the Tom Buidhe
DSCF0890.JPG
...and Tom Buidhe summit - Munro no.3
DSCF0910.JPG
Getting clear views again - on the way between Tom Buidhe and Cairn of Claise...towards north
8) :D
DSCF0911.JPG
Looking back to the Tom Buidhe...clear views now
DSCF0918.JPG
Munro no. 4 - Cairn of Claise summit
DSCF0935.JPG
Ascending the Glas Maol, looking back to the Cairn of Claise - very distanced now...
DSCF0936.JPG
The summit of Glas Maol - Munro no.5 and the highest of them
DSCF0941.JPG
Next targed ahead - Creag Leacach over the ridge
DSCF0947.JPG
Closer now...
DSCF0972.JPG
Munro no.6 - Summit of Creag Leacach. All 6 Munros completed !
:D :D :D
DSCF0994.JPG
Back in the car park - mission completed ! 6 hours 59 mins in total
:D :D
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: 6 Munros - Early Bird at Glenshee

Postby larry groo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:12 pm

You're gonna run out of hills Petr!

Good effort though.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
larry groo

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:41 pm

larry groo wrote:You're gonna run out of hills Petr!

Good effort though.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you :) Hope I will have some time to add the photos and some words about soon :roll: :)
My daughter keeps me busy now... :D I came home early from the mountains today and then I was outside for a walk with her as I promised her before :lol: So today is my really walking day !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby PerthAlly » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Petr

Every time I visit this site you've been somewhere! Better get my boots out, you put me to shame :lol:

Well done mate
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Wanderlust7 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Looking forward to your report Petr, I was across the road and done the easy 3 today and was having a look at doing 4 or possibly 6 on my next trip so I will keep an eye out for your walk report.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:04 am

PerthAlly wrote:Petr

Every time I visit this site you've been somewhere! Better get my boots out, you put me to shame :lol:

Well done mate

Thank you :) ...and keep your boots on ! :lol: :wink: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:14 am

Wanderlust7 wrote:Looking forward to your report Petr, I was across the road and done the easy 3 today and was having a look at doing 4 or possibly 6 on my next trip so I will keep an eye out for your walk report.

Thanks :) I did the easy 3 on january this year and I was seeing them today almost all time of my route. This opposite side is a different story especially if added the extra two, even because you need walk around 5km on the road A93 to connect start and finish point to get back to your car but I recommend you to do all 6 together - it's just some extra time and few miles, but once you are on top is better to attache them, saving your time and ascent for next :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:17 am

Hell, you are unstoppable! How do you find the time?? I oscillate between admiration and envy!!!

Keep reporting... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:54 am

Alteknacker wrote:Hell, you are unstoppable! How do you find the time?? I oscillate between admiration and envy!!!

Keep reporting... :D

Thanks :) I'm struggling with the time ( my free time is rare ), by the reason I must be quick and effective in the mountains...but slow enough to enjoy the atmosphere and beauty around as I love mountains :lol: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Some more photos:
DSCF0824.JPG
DSCF0832.JPG
DSCF0863.JPG
DSCF0864.JPG
DSCF0869.JPG
DSCF0874.JPG
DSCF0875.JPG
DSCF0876.JPG
DSCF0879.JPG
DSCF0880.JPG
DSCF0884.JPG
DSCF0891.JPG
DSCF0892.JPG
DSCF0894.JPG
DSCF0895.JPG
DSCF0902.JPG
DSCF0908.JPG
DSCF0913.JPG
DSCF0922.JPG
DSCF0968.JPG
DSCF0969.JPG
DSCF0971.JPG
DSCF0973.JPG
DSCF0979.JPG
DSCF0990.JPG
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:53 pm

My local hills Petr, done them many times with various members of the family and friends. A good round and another SIX, great stuff, not the best place for poor conditions but at least it appears the cloud etc came and went for you. I'm very happy to see you put the banana skin in the bin, I would have done the same :D one of my pet hates on the hill, litter. Come on what about that extra minute, bet you ran towards the car to beat the seven hours :lol: :lol: Another good effort!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby basscadet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Wow, good effort in that time! Brilliant up there, so many munro's so little ascent/re-ascent :D
Always makes me sad when I see walk reports of folk going up Carn Tuirc without wandering the hundred yards to take in Corrie Kander - such a beautiful place.. :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:My local hills Petr, done them many times with various members of the family and friends. A good round and another SIX, great stuff, not the best place for poor conditions but at least it appears the cloud etc came and went for you. I'm very happy to see you put the banana skin in the bin, I would have done the same :D one of my pet hates on the hill, litter. Come on what about that extra minute, bet you ran towards the car to beat the seven hours :lol: :lol: Another good effort!

Thanks Rod :) Glad we are in the same Wave about an litter, I hate to see any rubbish anywhere else than in bin, especially in nature. :( :shock: :? I will always preffer have my pockets full of a litter until I find... a bin :wink:
Maybe it looks like, but I did not run at all :wink: Just a random I got back in 6:59 h :lol: descending slowly used some steepy adrenaline way instead going down by the path... :) :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:43 pm

basscadet wrote:Wow, good effort in that time! Brilliant up there, so many munro's so little ascent/re-ascent :D
Always makes me sad when I see walk reports of folk going up Carn Tuirc without wandering the hundred yards to take in Corrie Kander - such a beautiful place.. :wink:

Thanks :) it¨s a good route to get 6M in one trip :wink: I was very close to the Corrie Loch Kander, walking around on the edge, but as I wrote in the report, in the time there was almost whiteout and not visibility :( I saw a nice shape of it just for a few sec , but then when wanted get closer and make a pic...it disappeared :( :roll: But I guess and trust that it's a beautiful place to see... 8)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Wanderlust7 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:38 pm

Thanks for your latest post Petr a good round of 6, I shall follow you and also do the long walk before the start too. look forward to reading your next reports, working my way through yours now. Again, thanks for sharing.

Steve
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland