walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What a difference a hour makes

What a difference a hour makes

Postby ancancha » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh

Date walked: 24/03/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 591m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn aGheoidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Got the chance to do some work close to Glenshee, and as I've been sitting in front of the screen getting fat, this was a good opportunity to burn off some calories and see the sites.

I wanted a dry walk and looking on google could see there was a dirt road most of the way up to Carn a'Geoidh, so parked the car next to the gate and set off. As you can see there's plenty of space leaving free access.

Carn Gheoidh Start.jpg

The path climbs steadily with interesting views of Glas Maol, a pretty bulky lump of rock :!:

Carn Gheoidh Glas Maol.jpg

On up the path and wonder if this A frame in the middle of nowhere is for hanging up deer while they are gutted :?: Anyway checkout the clear blue sky, not a cloud to be seen 8)

Carn Gheoidh A Frame.jpg

I was getting hot in the warm sunshine and the hat and gloves were off as I strolled along and through the pass below Ben Gulabin, very civilised.
Caught sight of a couple of white dots moving quickly up Ben Gulabin, and thought they weren't the right shape for deer and sheep don't move like that, then it dawned on me, mountain hares, apparently there is a scarcity of them. Certainly I've seen loads of them in and around Glenshee and as they all look pretty fat they must be thriving here.

Some nice views opening up at the end of the pass, with some interesting patches of snow for ski touring. Pity there hasn't really been enough snow for ski exploring this year, so far :wink: Note the clouds in the sky.

Carn Gheoidh End of Pass.jpg

Still a nice day, there had been a very brief and very light snow shower earlier, just a few flakes really although there was a report of a hail storm further down the valley.
Onwards and upwards and a first view of Glas Tulaichean, the sky is getting ominously darker.

Carn Gheoidh Glas Tulaichean.jpg

On up the path and then it starts snowing big fluffy snow that's lying readily.

Carn Gheoidh Snowing.jpg

It's getting pretty persistent, so I get the forecast out of the phone after getting the phone out of my pocket, due to last until about 5pm and then it will be a clear and starry night. There's a hut as a marker, I've got the GPS, warm clothes and I'm getting the first sight of Carn a'Gheoidh not too far away.

Carn Gheoidh Hut.jpg

Getting up Carn Gheoidh looks straight forward.

Carn Gheoidh First Look.jpg

Carn Bhinnein also looks tempting in a completely non sexual way, wonder if I'll manage to include it on this walk.

Carn Gheoidh Carn Bhinnein.jpg

I traversed a bit to take the sting out of the climb up, but it's not a slog and I'm quickly on the summit. There are three cairns, with the one int the photo below with the shelters the summit.

Carn Gheoidh Summit.jpg

I walked on the few tens of metres to the next one and looked back; this is a bit murky and obscuring the views I'd come up here to take in, should I hang around and see if it clears so I can get my holiday snaps :think:
Wandered around for a few minutes and saw some tantalising lighter patches in the sky above, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get a spectacular panoramic any time soon so started down.
I hadn't got far when the cloud lifted and some of the beauty shown through, Carn Bhinnein in the evening sun with Glas Tulaichean behind.

Carn Gheoidh Carn Bhinnein in the Sun.jpg

It must have snowed quite heavily again when I was up top, quite a difference from the clear blue sky's earlier.

Carn Gheoidh Snow Tracks.jpg

Got down into the pass and the mountain hares were out again pronking along with their amusing way of getting around. I must checkout getting a camera with a better zoom. Picture below proves their existence and take my word for it there were plenty of them around.

Carn Gheoidh Mountain Hare.jpg

Not too far from the start or finish, depending, of the walk you cross a mountain stream with some interesting patterns in the rocks,

Carn Gheoidh Mountain Stream.jpg

A very pleasant walk finished off with some scenic views up the valley.

Carn Gheoidh Valley.jpg

And the forecast was spot on :lol:

Carn Gheoidh Forecast.jpg
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: What a difference a hour makes

Postby jmarkb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Nice one! The A frame is from an old ski tow, I think...
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby colingray8 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:18 am

jmarkb wrote:Nice one! The A frame is from an old ski tow, I think...

That's what I was told as well. This used to be a ski area before the developed the current location.

Good report. :clap:

I do like this area.

/Colin. :o
colingray8
Munro compleatist

Munros:125   Corbetts:17
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby macq23 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Great report.

I did Ben Gulabin and Carn a Gheoidh a few days before you

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50237

and really enjoyed the walk. I too was transfixed with the white dots moving up and down the hills!!

:)
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland