walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black Fell and Holme Fell

Black Fell and Holme Fell

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:32 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Black Fell, Holme Fell

Date walked: 26/03/2015

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 610m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a significant snowfall overnight, and high winds forecast, these two fells provided a good lower level alternative to my original plans. In the event the snow melted by the time I reached the second top, but the winds were so strong that standing up on the summit ridges was hard work and, at times, difficult.
Holme Fell, in particular, is a fell with plenty of interest. All, in all, these fells combine well to give a good, short, day's hill walking. :D
10 Kms (6 miles) 610 m (2000') for the two.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by jonathan - norfolk on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:10
Grahams:9   Donalds:11
Hewitts:236
Wainwrights:194   Islands:2

Re: Black Fell and Holme Fell

Postby simon-b » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Two nice little hills. I wonder if that Ecuadorian artist has any plans to visit Holme Fell, the lowest of the Southern Fells, and add an inch to it?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Grahams:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:56 am

I walked black crag in October and found it to be a very enjoyable walk with good views from the summit. Off to the Lakes this weekend and was thinking of walking Holme Fell from Hodge Close as a quick walk, I have noticed on a few reports from this hill there is sometimes cows present. I am always very cautious around them, can you tell me if they were there last week?
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 pm

That looks a nice round jonathan, when I saw 210m of ascent I thought wow, that doesn't seem like much....then I saw the main entry at the top...reckon you've robbed yourself in the typed bit mate :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Sarah86 wrote:I walked black crag in October and found it to be a very enjoyable walk with good views from the summit. Off to the Lakes this weekend and was thinking of walking Holme Fell from Hodge Close as a quick walk, I have noticed on a few reports from this hill there is sometimes cows present. I am always very cautious around them, can you tell me if they were there last week?

No cows last week. Several "cow pats" though, but if you are going straight up from the tarn I think you're less likely to see them than approaching the fell from the north.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:24 pm

ChrisW wrote:That looks a nice round jonathan, when I saw 210m of ascent I thought wow, that doesn't seem like much....then I saw the main entry at the top...reckon you've robbed yourself in the typed bit mate :wink:

You're right, robbed myself quite a bit. They're about 300m each, but Holme was my favourite by far the way I walked it. Saw a lot of the fell that way. Straight up and down from the tarn would have been much quicker and simpler, but the "circular" route and the traverse of the ridge was worthy of much higher fells. I'll edit my entry a.s.a.p.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland