walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Above Loch Lee

Above Loch Lee

Postby KatTai » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Date walked: 29/03/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 539m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

In agony after an experience day doing stunt horse riding, I thought 'd take the dogs for a nice gentle walk along Loch Lee...which then turned into following the landrover track a bit further along until it flattened out at the top, at which point we turned around and headed back down. We saw the rain, but avoided all but the edge of one rain shower that we managed to keep walking just ahead of. Was pleased to spot a pair of peregrines on the way back as I haven't seen any there for the last few years. In even more agony now, but at least I'm not getting hounded any more!

1.jpg
Loch Lee

3.jpg
Lambs about!

4.jpg
Landrover track leading uphill

5.jpg
View down to Loch Lee

6.jpg
Dogs above Loch Lee

7.jpg
Dogs with Mount Keen in the background

8.jpg
Missed me!

9.jpg
Missed me again!

10.jpg
Track heading down with Mount Keen in the background

11.jpg
This rain chased us...managed to stay at the edge of it though!

12.jpg
Rainbow
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Above Loch Lee

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:31 pm

Stunt horse riding - what's that all about :?

Shame you were in agony, it's an easy walk over to a great viewpoint on Craig Maskeldie and on to the falls of Unich or a wander over Hunt Hill. That said, after a few hours on a horse the chances are I wouldn't have been able to get out of bed never mind going for a walk.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby KatTai » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm sure it would be but it was a bit wet at the top and as I was traveling light on account of one arm being in agony I wasn't kitted up for doing off-path wandering, I'm not overly-confident off the path anyway especially without pre-planning first. Saying that, a family that looked about as well prepared as me were considering attempting it! Plus if my leg went down a hole (which it did when I did the waterfalls circuit before) I doubt I'd be able to get it out again the way I'm feeling today! LOL!

The stunt horse riding was doing the vaulting and other things on a horse, so doing the lifting legs and arms up, lying down, standing up on the horse and a bit of jousting and trick riding. Great fun, but very painful muscles afterwards! Fortunately though the shoulder I had a trapped nerve in a few weeks ago escaped without harm! Just everything else hurts LOL!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby kev_russ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:04 am

Lovely pics :) I was over on Ben Tirran yest & the rain was doing the same. All around us but not hitting us.
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland