walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canisp in the clag

Canisp in the clag

Postby Alastair S » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Route description: Canisp

Corbetts included on this walk: Canisp

Date walked: 23/05/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 686m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

If you are looking for stunning photo of Iverpolly & Assynt then I suggest you take yourselves over to maddjock’s masterpiece over here

‘cause all I saw was clag…

While the rest of the country basked in spring sunshine the far NW was draped in clag. Canisp & surrounding peaks were just about cloud free when we got up (another Granite City Hillwalkers meet: we were staying at the cavers hut in Elphin between Ullapool & Inchnadamph) but by the time we left the cloud base was obscuring the top of Canisp and half of Suilven.

20100523.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The route out we took was a bit to the south of the one on this site – very easy going despite there being no path (and not too stony). This took us to the large cairn so prominent in maddjock’s report. After that the clag set in, the route got steeper and the stoniness increased. Nearer the top the stones turned to boulders so this isn’t the best way up (unless you have a view of the magnificence that is Suilven – which we didn’t – did I mention we were in clag?).

P1080599.JPG
Early gentle not too stony start

P1080603.JPG
View to Cam Loch

P1080604.JPG
Large cairn at NC218172

So got the top with its two large stone shelters – visibility was so bad you couldn’t see one from the other but both my GCH companions had been here before so knew about them. The larger one is big enough to pitch a tent in (but don’t count on getting any pegs in).

P1080606.JPG
Summit shelter #2

Back down was a bit easier following close to the route suggested on this site, with a path kicking in for the last 2-3 km. But the clag hadn’t finished with us yet. Came out at about 400m (having gone in at about 500m) but 15 minutes latter it caught up with us again, followed us all the way back to the car and then rained on us for the last 1km :lol: :evil:

I will be back for photos of what is probably by favourite mountain [so far]: Suilven.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Canisp in the clag

Postby Alan S » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi alastair
Still a couple of nice pics there despite the clag :)
Im thinking of planning a trip up that way for next year
Look forward to the report on suilven 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Alastair S » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:49 pm

alan s wrote:Look forward to the report on suilven 8)

You may have to wait a while :( I did Suilven in April 2008 before I started logging walks here. I am planning on catching up & doing my 'historic' walks but my record so far isn't that impressive.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby maddjock » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:06 pm

shame about the weather... This is a great wee hill with the fantastic views of Suilven...
There is another even more spectacular cairn on the western/north western slopes of Canisp, which calls for another trip at some point to photograph...

(a masterpiece... why thankyou... :oops: )
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby monty » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Shame about the weather Alastair,
A couple of nice pictures there though. Nice to see a slightly different approach. :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:09 am

Shame about the weather you had - I always think that's such a pretty hill. Looks a really nice walk too... Maybe I'll get chance to do it soon as I'm off to Sutherland in a couple of weeks :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland