walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wander to Auchmithie

A wander to Auchmithie

Postby KatTai » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Route description: Seaton Cliffs and Auchmithie, Arbroath

Date walked: 30/03/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the first time I've been along the cliffs for a while, last time the cliff path was closed off, but it is open now, though with a diversion down to Carlingheugh Bay as the cliff path further on is dangerous. It made for a nice detour where the dogs could have a run off-lead and a swim on the way back though. Again, I was at the edge of any real heavy rain despite the looming dark clouds. There was a fair bit of wildlife about, saw curlews, fulmur, kittiewake, rafts of razorbill and guillemot, kestrels and even a female hen harrier! Second one I've seen locally this month!

I went back the same way along the cliffs, I prefer avoiding road walking where possible and I find staying along the cliffs a nicer walk back :)

3.jpg
The cliffs, still pretty quiet at the moment...for now!

5.jpg
Warning notice on the signpost

6.jpg
Path down to the bay

15.jpg
More cliffs

16.jpg
Auchmithie

18.jpg
Hen harrier
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: A wander to Auchmithie

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi KatTai - this takes me back a few years.

Seem to remember we walked as far as a village (Auchmithie ?) then returned to Arbroath on a mix of roads and paths that were a few hundred yards inland - seem to remember it was a better walk than I expected.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: A wander to Auchmithie

Postby KatTai » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 pm

The Walk Highlands return route is across farm fields. I have a book with a longer route that has a long stretch of road walking to reach the path at Seaton Den, but I'm not fond of long stretches of road walking. I prefer sticking with the cliffs for the scenery and wildlife :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland