walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby shivy88 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 06/04/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So here goes my first report on WH !

This was the day I hit the big 5-0 in my munro tally :D even from the car as we drove I was amazed by these twin mountains. When we parked up a little past Benmore farm the sun shone behind the summit of Ben More giving us a clear view at just how far we would have to ascend. It looked daunting but the weather was fine and I was excited at bagging my 50th munro. I crossed my fingers and hoped hard for summit views which I hadn't had much luck with recently! :roll:

Ben More summit.jpg
Summit of Ben More

We set of up the hillside, my only thought being to make sure we were on the correct side of the drystone dyke keeping us safe from the high corrie of Sloc Curraidh :shock: . We plodded on, setting ourselves little targets to reach, breaking when we needed to and admiring the view as we climbed higher. As we ascended cloud from the west blew in and shrouded the summit, scuppering my chance of a nice summit view for number 50 :( . Looking west I wasn’t sure whether it would pass at all but hoped for a little moment of magic! Eventually we hit the drystone dyke and were soon on the path next to it. We followed this all the way to the summit with only one real icy patch to cross. We reached the summit after a long 3 hours but quickly forgot the pain of the ascent the moment we summited! :D :clap:

View from Ben More.jpg
View from Ben More

Ben More summit pic.jpg
Summit pic - 50th Munro!

We continued on to the trig point for a slightly different view of more clag and took shelter in the rocks around the summit cairn to have our well-deserved lunch. While looking for the most comfortable rock I happened to glance over to see my moment of magic happening! :D The cloud billowed round the mountain revealing stunning views. As I hopped about excitedly from rock to rock while trying to get my camera out, it swept away almost entirely revealing the fine peak of Stob Binnein rising dramatically in front of us :D . I didn’t quite manage to get the shot I wanted before the cloud swept in again but was happy to have seen it. :D

A gap in the clouds.jpg
A gap in the clouds at the first summit

Stob Binnein hiding.jpg
Stob Binnein hidden behind the cloud - just not quick enough with the camera!

We descended to the bealach, easily following the path between the two summits. I was glad after my last few outings not to be faced with a navigational epic. The views came and went as we started our ascent of Stob Binnein. The wind had picked up a bit but didn’t trouble us at the summit. Again as we reached the summit we were surrounded by cloud but we waited it out and caught another few moments of magic before heading back to the bealach :D . The wind felt very strong during the descent, as we pushed against it and was pushing back. We descended west from the bealach and soon came across the boggy path and followed the burn back to the track which leads down to Benmore farm. Looking back at the summit of Ben More from the car I was glad we started as early as we did and caught the best of the weather! :D 8) :clap:

Photo op at the bealach.jpg
View at the bealach

Stob Binnein ascent.jpg
Stob Binnein ascent

summit stob binnein.jpg
Summit pic on Stob Binnein

descending stob binnein.jpg
Descent from the summit

out to the west.jpg
the view out to the west

moody ben more at the end.jpg
moody Ben More at the end of the day
shivy88

Munros:207   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby edinburgh36 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Yeah - we're both on a roll now with our reports!!
:clap:
Looking forward to our next outing!
edinburgh36
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland