walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easter Monday up Ben More

Easter Monday up Ben More

Postby edinburgh36 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 06/04/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Almost didn’t make this one! Was kept awake most of the night in the hostel in Dundee by the sound of a seagull just outside the window and managed to set my clock for Sunday, not Monday! Probably thanks to the seagull I opened my eyes and checked the clock at 6:02 – 28 minutes to get up and out to meet Siobhan…

The drive up past Loch Earn and along the A85 was amazing. Gorgeous sunshine and what was actually set to be a really hot, nice day – for those not atop Ben More, but in other parts of Scotland.

We hit the trail at 8:25. Ben More lives up to it’s reputation as a formidable giant and slog of a hill! Almost as soon as you leave the car you look and just think – that is a LONG way up!!
BM2.1.jpg
Ben More - A long way to go!

We followed the sign for the farm and then the track for a wee bit of the way. Probably could have made things a tiny bit easier for ourselves if we had followed the track a bit further than we did before coming to the gate. We were going to need every bit of energy we had to get up here.

Then the slog began. We took regular breaks to admire the views behind (as our lungs nearly burst out of our chests!!) The clouds kept rolling across as we climbed and it was pretty claggy. There were patches of snow and ice higher up but all totally avoidable. After 2 hours 55 we reached the summit.

BM1.1.jpg
Looking back towards Crianlarich

BM3.1.jpg
Still a way to go...

BM4.1.jpg
Yeah - we made it!

We had had glimpses through the clouds so decided to stop here for lunch and wait in the hope we’d get a ‘magic moment’ and the amazing views that had been threatening to show themselves off and on. Siobhan was up and down like a yo-yo every time it looked like the cloud was on the move. We didn’t get what we wanted but we did get a couple of cool shots.
BM5.1.jpg
Clouds just wouldn't blow past.

The summit of Ben More is an ideal lunch stop – has a couple of nice sheltered seats in the rocks. After 15/20 minutes we headed down to the bealach, and again were just willing those clouds to blow over to get the view of the ridge between the two peaks.
BM6.1.jpg
More views from the top

BM7.1jpg.jpg
Views to the East

The wind really picked up at this point, easily 40mph (maybe more) so my focus was just pushing up to the top of Stob Binnein so that we could then head back down to more sheltered terrain!
BM7.3.jpg
Not far to Stob Binnein...

BM summit3.jpg
Looking back at Ben More form the bealach

Before long we were at the summit and there was a brief break in the wind. We sat for a bit – again hoping for the views to appear and make the slog all the more worthwhile, but they didn’t really.
BM8.1.jpg
Summit 2 of the day :)

BM9.1.jpg
Number 14

So down we went. Easy descent with lovely views, but a long walk along the side of the burn and back to the car.
BM10.1.jpg

BM11.1.jpg
Views to the West

6 hours 55 later we were back at the car. Not bad going, with a couple of decent stops.
Munros 13 & 14 for me and 50 and 51 for Siobhan. Great end to the Easter weekend!
edinburgh36
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Easter Monday up Ben More

Postby jac the lassie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Nice pics! Much better weather than Saturday :lol:
Your on a roll now wi the trip reports :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby shivy88 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Great report :clap: Thanks for the company! So glad we got some views after all that hard work! A great day to hit 50 for me and you'll be catching me up in no time at this rate!
shivy88

Munros:207   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   

Postby litljortindan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:02 pm

A couple of great, atmospheric pictures there -I like the one through the break in the clouds and the one with the cloud draped over the Stob Binnien skyline.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Nesa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:20 pm

Great report! Well done! Looks like an awesome day out :D
Nesa
Munro compleatist

Munros:50   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:52
Wainwrights:45   

Postby dooterbang » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 am

The ascent to the summit is pretty relentless straight from the off, it certainly gets the heart beating :)
I love this hill simply because of the challenge it throws at you, and the views from the summit are pretty decent to.
I was last up here in December, was a great day... http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48387

Well done on compleating another hill/munro...you've a great journey ahead of you :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland