walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going commando in the hills

Going commando in the hills

Postby mr_mrsH » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:07 pm

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 10/04/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After checking the forecast on Thursday it was for full sun all over Scotland so after checking our Munro map it was decided to go for these 2 at Bridge of Orchy, alarm was set for 6 o'clock although it was over an hour later that we set of and it was just before 10 before we got to the car park, quite surprisingly there was only 1 other car there, another couple who we would be following for the whole day and would only catch up as we were returning to the car park.
1621.jpg
car park

The first mishap of the day was discovered at the car when i realised that i'd forgotten my camera :( , oh well will just have to use my phone, thankfully it was fully charged.
We headed off along the track ignoring the hill path sign and headed for the farm and through the gate onto the path alongside a wall.
1641.jpg
track alongside wall

Went through a gate and made our first river crossing, a taster of things to come.
1661.jpg
looking back to first river crossing

1711.jpg
the view back

1721.jpg
the track ahead

further along we came to a bridge where the decision was made to continue cross and continue on knowing that the footbridge was down further along, but the river was not in spate so i thought it would be ok, what did i know? :roll:
1691.jpg
bridge where fateful decision was made

1741.jpg
path down to bridge

1761.jpg
the "bridge" over the river Tulla

We found a likely spot to cross and opted to use our walking poles to aid our crossing, mrs H went first and i followed, disaster was about to strike,
i was following in mrs H's stepping stones when i felt one foot slipping and decided to make a rash attempt to get to the next stones with a very wet result, everything soaked from the waist down, Mrs H, after the initial shock found this hilarious :lol: and took great delight in taking a few photos, the only good thing was that i DIDN'T have my camera with me otherwise it would have been ruined but this was cancelled out by the fact that my GPS was cracked and not working :( but thankfully had viewranger on my phone :D.
1781.jpg
Mrs H making the crossing

1811.jpg
the aftermath of my crossing attempt!

i have to admit that my first thought was to turn back, but after some thought and mrs H's suggestions that i could where my waterproof trouser and jacket decided to carry on. EVERYTHING! had to be stripped of the lower half, hence the title, also my fleece was wet so that along with my trousers were tied to the back of my pack to allow them to dry out in the sun/wind (it was half way down the final ascent before i got changed back), no chafing was suffered!
So, onward and upwards i squelched.
1831.jpg
view of Beinn Achaladair

1871.jpg
Allt Coire an Lochan

Now it was a long long slog up the grassy slopes (Mrs H hates grassy slopes) alongside the Allt Coire an lochain.
It was now getting a bit windier and chillier so decided to stop and put on my fleece but it was still damp, Mrs H suggested that i put on her poloneck top that she had with her, it was pink put i wore it anyway, how much worse could my day get :lol: .
1841.jpg
very low railway underpass with added sheep carcase!

1891.jpg
Lochan a'Chreachain

after 4 long windy, squelchy and arduous hours summit 1, Beinn a'Chreachain was reached :clap:
194.jpg
summit 1 Beinn a'Chreachain

Now the hardest part was over it was on to Beinn Achaladair.
1951.jpg
the way ahead

Before the final ascent to BA we stopped for a bite to eat and could see the couple ahead of us making their final ascent to BA which helped us out on route finding,
1961.jpg
the final ascent to Beinn Achaladair

After 1.5hrs summit 2, Beinn Achaladair was reached, Mrs H lay down on the cairn only for me to tell her that the actual summit was further along.
202.jpg
summit 2 Beinn Achaladair

Now it was just case of another long slog (2.5hrs) down to the car park, including a trouser change. Near the farm a sign points to a footpath to the car park which disappears after 50meters on so.
2101.jpg
nearly at the car park

In summary a long day in the hills which will probably never be forgotten :D
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   

Re: Going commando in the hills

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:03 am

Lightweight flipflops and a wee towel - invaluable for water crossings :wink:

Looked a good day despite your water crossing difficulties - has been a few years since last here when the bridge was still in place - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Going commando in the hills

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks for this, I've been pondering these two but leaving them for after the snow melt to ease the river crossing. Looks like a great day despite the soaking :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland