walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First snows of the winter in Glen Elchaig (October 2008)

First snows of the winter in Glen Elchaig (October 2008)

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sguman Coinntich

Date walked: 30/10/2008

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 880m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Sguman Coinntich
Date walked: 30/10/2008
Time taken: 3 hours
Distance: 9 km
Ascent: 880m
Weather: Cold, clear and sunny

Time to pass some time writing up a couple of old reports. Some pretty short days here, but with stunning scenery. Please excuse the lack of photos - I was using an old-skool digital camera from work which only had a 20MB memory card!

At the time I was fortunate to have a series of site visits up and down the west coast, giving me many opportunities to shoehorn a quick hill into the day. On site again in Lochcarron and Kyle, and the afternoon was looking stunning. I thought I'd exhausted most new possibilities in the area, before realising that shorn of Faochag and Aonach Buidhe, this hill was a fairly short day out on its own.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Getting away from a meeting at a reasonable time, I parked up at the Kililan roadhead and started walking. Loch Long and the foot of Glen Elchaig is a beautiful spot, removed from the bustle of Kintail by just a few short miles of narrow road. I performed my usual getting lost routine on the way up, scrambling over the boundary walls above Kililan, but I was soon on the stalker's path up the Choire Mhor. This was widened into an ATV track, and made for easy walking. The path carried on less prominently after the ATV track dipped down to the river. I was already in the shade here, with a few hours of daylight left.

Initially, I thought of heading to the end of the corrie and getting onto the summit from the Bealach Mhic Bheathain. However, I was walking in some of the first significant snow of the year with no axe, and was aware of an awkward step, so decided to cross the burn and hit the northern slopes. The more conventional route may well have been OK, but I didn't have time to reach the summit if it was difficult enough to have to backtrack from.

The northern slopes were easy enough, if a bit steep, and the final section along the western ridge to the summit felt adventurous, even though it was also straightforward. Views from the summit were spectacular, particuarly the short range one back down to Loch Long. I had encountered a little snow on Beinn Bhan (Glen Loy) the previous week, but this was the first walk of the season which felt like a proper winter's day (even if the snow was light and unconsolidated).

Loch Alsh and Skye from the summit:

Back down to Loch Long:

NE into the Mullardoch/Monar interior:

Across Ben Kililan to the Cuillin:

Faochag and the back of Kintail:

I had a good ten minutes on the summit, but it was cold so I didn't hang around any longer. Being too short of time to carry on to Faochaig, I retraced my steps by the same route. It was much faster on the way down! At the bottom, I managed to find my way to the correct track, and didn't have to climb any walls. An enjoyable afternoon in the first proper snows of the year. Something I seem to have missed this year.

Looking back up Loch Long to Sguman Coinntich:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: First snows of the winter in Glen Elchaig (October 2008)

Postby malky_c » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:06 am

Now with full report and photos added.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: First snows of the winter in Glen Elchaig (October 2008)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:38 am

Fantastic views
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland