walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My first hill walk ever, phew!

My first hill walk ever, phew!

Postby Cunny111 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:01 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 09/04/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part/1
We started the walk in a beautiful sunny day around 12-30pm. My daughter Kirsty a primary school teacher who was on easter break, and myself both determined to bag our first Munro. 10 mins in to the walk we met our first walkers coming down from the summit and asked how it was up there. They said I hope you have a jacket as it's pretty cold up top. To my disgust I just realised I had left my brand new jacket down at the car park toilets. Down we went luckily it was still hanging where I left it, so off we set again. At about 500 feet it was time for us to strip down to our shorts as it was so hot. So I unzipped my Craghoppers lower trouser legs (very handy, very handy indeed). After about 1000ft, how did I know it was about that height?
Simple we met a climber coming down the mountain who told us he was with the mountain rescue, and was out for a solo walk. I asked him how far up do we have to go to the top, after taking a look at his watch, which obviously had an altitude device on it, he said to our dismay, you are about a third of the way up.
Our red faces dropped, like we had had a stroke, we didn't want to look distraught so we put our poker faces on and pretended it was ok, pretended that we were happy and comfortable, and full,of energy. When in fact the opposite was the case. He meandered off and left us telling us to stop regularly and take in plenty of water.
Part/2
Off we set again and I felt great for the next 100yds, whereupon it dawned on me as it got steeper that my rucksack was too heavy, and I was beginning to realise I was carrying too much. I had two full flasks, 4 bottles of water, four carmel log biscuits, two bags of sweets, two cans of strongbow fruit cider, a surprise for my daughter when we reached the top, 3 pairs of gloves, fingerless, full fingered and thick full fingered. I also had three hats, binauculars, a weatherman knife, a knife, fork, spoon, a head torch, and bottle opener. Also my new jacket, cup a soups, and a few other things.
Kirsty said she would swap rucksacks for a little while, ok I said and the difference was night and day.
It was as if I had nothing on my back and I set off in front with a new vigour, despite my bright pink rucksack.
After about another 500 ft we met a woman and her 7 year old girl. I asked if she had been to the top and she said yes, and that it was harder coming down, which made me kind of giggle inside. As I couldn't wait to come down, she was talking keek, I thought.
We got to about 2000 ft and I took my ruck sack back as my daughter who is extremely fit was feeling it but being a determined person like myself she wasn't complaining and offered to keep it. I was getting funny looks from people coming down due too the pink rucksack so I wasn't going to wear it to the summit, so we changed back.
It was also getting windy and chilly so the jackets and tammys and gloves were going on.
Part /3
The final climb I found to be the steepest and because of fatigue I was feeling it, I'm 56 and this is my first hillwalking or climb of any kind that I have ever done. I am slightly overweight but am quite fit for my age, but having not been as active as I normally am, due to recently losing both my parents, my fitness levels weren't what they were.
But we pushed on and on till finally we could see the summit, which inspired a burst of energy.
We reached the summit on a beautiful sunny day where you could see for miles. We sat down had the cider, much to Kirsty's delight and just took it all in. It was breathtaking, you could see for miles. Much to our amusement a boy of about 16 came up the from the other steep side on his mobile phone, in jeans, tee shirt, and light shoes, carrying nothing, as if he had just thought bugger it, I'm going up there.
We had a coffee and a sandwich to replenish the energy we much needed, it was time to descend, and off we set.
Part/4
After descending about 500 ft we met two extremely fit young men, pushing large mountain bikes up to the summit, which they told us they were going to cycle back down, and which usually takes them around 15 mins.
Extreme cycling indeed, and they definitely had our wholehearted respect, after pushing their bikes up to the summit.
The rest of the descent was basically normal apart from the two of us trying to sneak a pee in between other climbers.
I say normal until about halfway down when I realised this woman with the 7 year old daughter could be right about being harder on the way down. For the last 1000ft we were in pain, the soles of our feet were burning, our calves were aching and our thighs felt like they were on fire. We reached the car park tired but chuffed that we had done it, without turning back, I t was around 6pm. Taking our boots off was better than sex, it was the best feeling ever, and a wee dook in Loch Lomond cooled my feet, or should that be foot down, I only dooked one of them as it was freezing.
The climb was everything I expected it to be hard, but rewarding, and i loved it, well till about two days later, when the pain in my thighs kicked in. We are off again tomorrow Thursday to attempt the Cobbler near Arrochar, can't wait!
Cunny111
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   

Re: My first hill walk ever, phew!

Postby emarinuk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:14 am

I really feel you in this story. I did my first serios walking in more than 10 years and I struggled more than expected. I also chickened out of ben Lomond, which was my first choice, in part due to my lack of practice and also because of the traveling distance.

Anyway, well done! It feels great once the painkillers have started working doesn't it? :D
emarinuk
Stravaiging

Corbetts:1

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Loved that :lol: :lol:
Just a warning - not only is this lark addictive, it doesn't get easier (at least for me) - on every trip I reach a point when I ask myself what the **** I think I'm doing to myself, hauling an ancient body up a mountain :crazy: :crazy: and yet before I'm off the mountain there's another plan taking shape for the next one :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:251   Corbetts:16
Grahams:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Well done both - sounded like you enjoyed it !

Would agree with H-_n_P - it does get addictive :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:63   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Well done to both of you, enjoyed reading that :clap: :clap:
Rather than carry all that junk in your rucksack, the one thing you do need is a camera :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:181   Corbetts:40
Grahams:16   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:120   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland