walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corbett Banter in Durness

Corbett Banter in Durness

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Date walked: 10/04/2015

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1104m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These hills were climbed as part of the WH Durness meet. The weather forecast wasn’t looking too good for the weekend and it was a long drive from Glasgow but as I had the weekend off I thought ill go for it anyhow and im glad I did. Arrived in the Lazy Crofter Bunkhouse on the Thursday night and met up with Jelena. First time meeting up again since the Inchnadamph meet. ( Hope your shoulder is much better !!)

We made plans to join the Leg – end and Charlie for Cranstackie in the morning. We enjoyed a wee catch up and a vino and retired early for the night. I had to keep my strength up for what lay ahead :)
The bunkhouse is a cracking place, with views over the water, 2 minutes to the Spar and walking distance to the Pub! It was well equipped with 20 beds, 3 showers, 3 toilets, good size kitchen, a good sitting area and a sheltered decking area outside. And at £18 a night. A real bargain

The parking stop for the hills was only about 15 minutes drive from Durness. The owners of the Bunkhouse advised to park the car at the roadside at the start of the walk and not to take the car offroad as lots of cars have lost the bottom of their cars during the drive down.

The drive to the hills was stunning with lots of photo stops of the beaches.
CS24.jpg
The beaches

Arrived at Carbreck on the A 838 at 8ish and met up with the Rodster and Charlie (Trekker53) and planned our route.
CS22.jpg
View from the road

CS1.jpg
Car parking/ start of walk on A838

CS2.jpg
Heading down the track

Headed down the track towards Rhigolter crossing over a good bridge and passing the barns and through a gate onto the open hillside.
CS4.jpg
Over to Foinaven

CS5.jpg
Heading up the track

We crossed the Allt Calbhach Coire easily and headed southeast.
CS29.jpg
Rod attempting to take over

We followed the burn right up towards the bealach between Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh.
CS6.jpg
Heading up the burn towards the bealach

We allowed Charlie to lead this wee bit ! :lol:
Just after the bealach we stopped for a wee refuel. Then continued south up towards Cranstackie.
CS7.jpg
Towards Cranstackie. Letting Rod lead for a short spell :)

CS8.jpg
Jelena heading up Cranstackie

It was grassy to start as we headed up towards Cranstackie, then we hit the boulders. Jelena and Charlie stopped for a good while to take lots of pictures. I could see Rod pause at this point to join in the pics, so I casually thought Id seize my moment :) I continued to head south up the ridge towards Cranstackie, thinking all the time how good it would be to beat the Rodmiester. I had a big grin on my coupon with my back to Rod. Then heard Rod shout from behind ‘ I know your game! Ive read your reports and know how you like to jest that you are always in front’ So here the race began. I believe in respecting your elders and all that, but a summits a summit. So i picked up the my pace and just managed to peep Rod to the top and reached the summit cairn by.. a mile. We reached the summit in 2hours 50 minutes. Here the views over to Fionaven were stunning. We took a few pictures whilst waiting on the other 2 joining us. We took in the views all around which were spectacular on this clear but hazy day.
CS11.jpg
Summit of Cranstackie

CS31.jpg
Wondering if Rod would make the next corbett

From here we headed back down the way we came, no race required here. Had to let Rod recover. We stopped at a huge rocky stack, where we enjoyed posing for some pictures and had some lunch.
CS13.jpg
Posing

CS14.jpg
Posing

CS12.jpg
Trekker

CS27.jpg
Jelena

From here we headed down to the bealach between the 2 corbetts and then headed north over grassy mounds towards the 2nd Corbett. From here the Rodmiester started to lag behind again :wink: :lol:
CS28.jpg
Over to BS

We continued up towards BS at a good pace stopping on lots of occasions to let the others catch up.
I reached the first small cairn of Beinn Spionnaidh first for some unknown reason with Rod behind me from out of nowhere.
CS17.jpg
The Rodester approaching the first cairn!

I quickly snapped a picture Rod thinking id won again, only for him to point in an northernly direction that the summit is over there. The second race began across a huge boulderfield for 400 metres, care and concentration taken all the way. We reached the summit, with me allowing Rod to win this time.
CS18.jpg
summit of BS

Only for him to remember that he suggested to Charlie on the way up BS, the first to the summit got the first round in the pub afterwards.
CS19.jpg
Jelena

We all sat for a few minutes and then the wind picked up at the summit. So after a few pictures later we headed south and back to the first cairn. From here we headed west down the ridge towards Cioch Mhor, but rather than climbing it we skirted around it and back to pick the track up and back towards the car. Quite an easy straightforward route down.
CS20.jpg
Towards Cioch Mhor

CS21.jpg
Legend

CS23.jpg
In height and age order

6 hours 10. Great day out, glorious weather and great banter. Thanks guys and girl for the company and laughs. We headed towards the pub at the campsite only to find it didn’t open till 5. So back to the bunkhouse for a wee refreshment then back to the pub. Only as I had to claim my pint i was entitled to.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mountain thyme on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Corbett Banter in Durness

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:43 am

Great report there Theresa, that had me choking on my breakfast :lol: :lol: Fabulous day on wonderful hills with superb views and great company. Batteries totally recharged after that weekend and already looking forward to the Next round at Aultguish, Garve for maybe more of the same :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby trekker53 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:21 am

Good report Theresa, didn't realise how competitive you and Rod are but it was good fun. A really enjoyable day to set us up for the weekend.
Looking forward to meeting you all again at Aultguish.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Looks a cracking day :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Nice report :clap: and good to see another report from the day :D
More individual reports and views about the great story :clap: :clap: :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Enjoyed reading that Theresa, can't beat a bit of banter and competitiveness :lol: :lol:
There aren't many folk who can say they beat the 'leg end' :clap: :clap:
You doing a report for Meall Horn as well? If you are - Rod beat you :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:27 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Great report there Theresa, that had me choking on my breakfast :lol: :lol: Fabulous day on wonderful hills with superb views and great company. Batteries totally recharged after that weekend and already looking forward to the Next round at Aultguish, Garve for maybe more of the same :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

It was a great weekend Rod. Especially as you were first to the bar :) Good banter and weather better than we expected. See you soon on the corbetts :) Not forgotten the Aberdeenshire ones

trekker53 wrote:Good report Theresa, didn't realise how competitive you and Rod are but it was good fun. A really enjoyable day to set us up for the weekend.
Looking forward to meeting you all again at Aultguish.

It was a good 2 days Charlie. Thanks for the company. See you in Aultguish :)

SAVAGEALICE wrote:Looks a cracking day :D

It was Alice. Didnt expect it :)

Petr Dakota wrote:Nice report :clap: and good to see another report from the day :D

Cheers PD

Fife Flyer wrote:Enjoyed reading that Theresa, can't beat a bit of banter and competitiveness :lol: :lol:
There aren't many folk who can say they beat the 'leg end' :clap: :clap:
You doing a report for Meall Horn as well? If you are - Rod beat you :lol: :lol:

More individual reports and views about the great story :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Martin. Im on the case but dragging my heels with the Meall Horn one since the RM beat me :( :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby dooterbang » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Top report MT - looks like you enjoyed a great weekend :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:38 pm

dooterbang wrote:Top report MT - looks like you enjoyed a great weekend :)

Cheers DB. It was. You could have been there :D
mountain thyme
Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland