walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

MacLeod's Tables - another oldie

MacLeod's Tables - another oldie

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Healabhal Bheag, Healabhal Mhor

Date walked: 21/08/2008

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 680m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Over in Dunvegan for a site visit, and I'd planned on heading back to do Garbh-bheinn on the way home. However, weather on the east of the island was pants, but Dunvegan had blazing sunshine! What better chance to do the tables?

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Started at the water treatment works near Osdale. Followed the Osdale River in a short way, then picked up the vague NE ridge of Healabhal Mhor. This was fairly pathless but easy enough. Brilliant views from the edge of the summit to all of Harris, the Uists and Barra - Clisham was getting some rain by the looks of it!

Looking back to Dunvegan:

Ascent of Healabhal Mhor:

Healabhal Bheag:

Healabhal Bheag:

Loch Dunvegan with Harris in the background:

The descent to the south was a mixture of grassy and boggy. Being lazy, I contoured round the intervening bump, which was a bit rougher, then made my way over to the much steeper slopes of Healabhal Bheag. This was definitely the more interesting looking of the two hills, and the views were also improving over the Black Cuillin, where the clag was steadily lifting. The summit was much smaller than the previous one, and the SE and SW faces were fairly steep and craggy.

South to Loch Bracadale:

Looking across the Minch to Bheinn Mhor, S Uist:

Back to Healabhal Mhor:

Black Cuillin:

Rhum Cuillin:

Cloudy Black Cuillin:

Missed out the 3rd Marilyn of the group (Beinn Bhac-glais) as I couldn't be bothered this time, however it looks that the best longer route on these hills would include this and some of the coast path. A recent report by Munros111 included some of the coast.

There was something of a path off the southern table, with a short steep section. This appeared to head to Orbost, which wasn't much good to me, so I was soon off this heading back to the car near Osdale. The middle section of Glen Osdale was extremely boggy, with some large tussocks and holes in the ground - fun :shock:

Black Cuillin again:

Black Cuillin again (zoomed):

Looking back to the summit:

Looking S to S end of Cuillin Ridge:

Black Cuillin yet again:

Looking back to Healabhal Bheag:

Definitely worthwhile for the views, and as mentioned before, adding a section of coast would make this even better. Even without this there is a reasonable amount of climb on this route. If time was short, I would pick Healabhal Bheag as the better hill.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: MacLeod's Tables - another oldie

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Bumped for Kinley. You're not the only person with too much time on your hands today!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kinley » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:27 pm

malky_c wrote:Bumped for Kinley. You're not the only person with too much time on your hands today!

:lol: :lol:

Cheers Malky :D

Worth the bump :lol:
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:32 am

Great post and pics - I've been eyeing those up so that's much useful info thanks :D
mountain coward

Postby deamez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the review, the tragedy of it is we haven't been able to play on it ourselves yet! I really need to get our set down the club to get a game on..
deamez
Bird-watcher

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland