walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seasonal firsts - primroses and wet feet

Seasonal firsts - primroses and wet feet

Postby Jaywizz » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn an t-Sidhein

Date walked: 17/04/2015

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 6.65 km

Ascent: 464m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good weather forecast and mostly forest tracks - time to break out the lighter boots!
I set out with two borrowed furry friends from the carpark much as the WH route described elsewhere. On reaching the felled area, it was a relief to find the track much improved from the posted photo taken a few years back (2011)
WH track down.jpg
Timber operations debris now washed off the track, still steep and stony

It was great to leave the track and follow the small footpath up the grassy slope on the south side of An t-Sidhein, primroses, wood anemones and even a wild strawberry in flower. Skirting the west side of An t-Sidhein, the path leads to a stile over the robust stock fence. Nothing for it but to lift the dogs over - Badger, the older dog is quite heavy, and Saffy objected to being picked up and wriggled like a frantic eel. Not elegant or easy, but the three of us survived the experience!
From the fence it is a short walk across to the actual summit, a few ultra bright green patches mark the bogs. Here Saffy made it look easy, so light and fast she seemed to be flying over the top of the soft ground. I didn't. Wet feet.
WH summit cairn.jpg
Badger and Saffy at the tiny summit cairn

A quick photo stop on the summit, then we retraced our steps, the dog lift back over the fence much easier this time as both now knew what to expect. Initially I began to drop down on the north-east side of An t-Sidhein, but seeing sheep below, thought it wiser to retrace my steps back to the main path.
WH loch lubnaig.jpg
Biscuit break with a view south to Loch Lubnaig

Again, another walk where the dogs and I had the hill to ourselves, but I imagine this walk, at least to the top of An t-Sidhein is extremely popular at weekends. It is a real bonus to walk here during the week - and miss the traffic jams in Callender on the way home.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:32
Grahams:70   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:141   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland