walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morrone, The visitors hill at Braemar

Morrone, The visitors hill at Braemar

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 am

Route description: Morrone ascent, Braemar

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 17/04/2015

Time taken: 1.6 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 486m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at car park 1340hrs, time to top one hour. After the small climb of Meall Alvie in the morning and after nicely filled hot bacon roll from The Bothy in Braemar we were ready for another visit to the local Braemar Corbett, Morrone, yes the one with the large telecommunications tower on top. It was dry and sunny so let's go

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

9.JPG
A picture of Braemar which was passed before arriving at Braemar where we were to pass through to the North side and drive to the car park on the left side of 'Taste' a coffee shop and beside the grounds where the Braemar Gathering is held each year
a.JPG
A path leaves from the large car park at the top of the road and cannot be missed
b.JPG
Looking back from the viewpoint
c.JPG
Viewpoint
d.JPG
Looking towards the Cairngorms
e.JPG
Zoom of Ben Avon
f.JPG
Looking back down the well worn path down over Braemar
g.JPG
You cannot fail to miss this path, plenty of visitors have been this way
h.JPG
The summit of Morrone, one hour to the top from car park, no problem for the reasonable fit
i.JPG
Trig point and large cairn, cannot be missed even in bad weather. Now for a longer tomorrow in what had been as forecasted as excellent weather, Bring it on!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Re: Morrone, The visitors hill at Braemar

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:03 pm

Nice one Rod :clap: Bet you were running down :lol:
Totally different to when we did it a couple of months ago, we started at Auchallater, track was snow covered and the wind seemed to be in our faces the whole way up :( We were probably the only folk that appreciated the buildings etc on top, gave us a bit of shelter :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:41
Grahams:16   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:120   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby basscadet » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Looks like you got a decent day for it, surprisingly good views for such n easy one I always thought..

I used to walk over it fairly often returning from Glen Ey for the bus in Braemar.. Far better than the road by far :D
A few good bivvy shelters up on that ridge :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:33 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Rod :clap: Bet you were running down :lol:
Totally different to when we did it a couple of months ago, we started at Auchallater, track was snow covered and the wind seemed to be in our faces the whole way up :( We were probably the only folk that appreciated the buildings etc on top, gave us a bit of shelter :wink:

Hi Martin, you know me too well, Correct :lol: :lol: After meeting a couple of people going up when we were coming down we spoke to a female walking up but dressed the part for running and she informed us that she was to be running back from the summit, my mate had said something like you will catch us up before we finish, well red bag to a bull :wink: , no way I thought. After chatting to another couple also on the way up it was time to make a break for it, pace increased and the running began, we never saw her again :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:36 am

basscadet wrote:Looks like you got a decent day for it, surprisingly good views for such n easy one I always thought..

I used to walk over it fairly often returning from Glen Ey for the bus in Braemar.. Far better than the road by far :D
A few good bivvy shelters up on that ridge :wink:

Your right great views from the summit from all directions, Cairngorms, Lochnagar Loch Callater etc etc

We decided to miss Glen Ey for the Saturday walk, warm and sunny forecast, means and you will know what I'm going to say, ADDERS :crazy: :wink: :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland