walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grest Start to the Summer!

Grest Start to the Summer!

Postby ChrisH » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:55 am

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 17/04/2015

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great start to the Summer1
First of the season and chosen because I had to be back down mid afternoon for a work call.

There is a lot of construction work on the railway bridge and a lot of traffic up to the dam but SSE have maintained the pedestrian access. It was heaving with lorries for about 30 mins when I arrived but no problem once I was clear of the construction site - If in doubt ask the site workers.
Ben Vane from The Tarmac road up to Loch Sloy.jpg

For info there is a forestry track off left with a sign to Arrochar loop. Ignore this and stay on the tarmac for about half a mile when the dam wall comes into sight and the concrete bridge over the big burn breaks off to the left.
Ben vane from the Tarmac road up to loch Sloy. The Forestry track Bridge to the left.jpg

The vague footpath off the Forestry track is about 800 metres after the bridge
Ben Vane The path off the Forestry Track by the Burn..jpg

This path initially follows the right side of the small burn before stepping across the burn. The next section is indistinct and boggy until the slope up the shoulder gets steeper when the path is obvious.
Up on the shoulder the views back to loch Lomond start to develop.
Ben Vane just above the Shoulder loking back over to loch lomond.jpg

Another boggy section and then the more obvious path up the shoulder steepens.
The steep path winds up the slope dodging around rocky outcrops and views improve.
Ben Vane Well up the approach path looking back to Loch Lomond.jpg

Ben Vane - Loch Sloy Dam Wall with Ben Vorlich (Vurlich) behind.jpg

The now well defined path continues steeply with some short scrambling sections and two or three easy snow patches before opening onto the big, rounded, undistinguished summit.
Good views to the North and South.
Ben Vane summit looking South.jpg

Ben Vane from Summit looking north.jpg

Despite the sunshine there was a very cold breeze and the summit was not a place to linger! So some quick sandwiches and then back down the ascent route.

I was back down at Inveruglas by early afternoon ready for my work call. Sitting in the car looking down Loch Lomond and discussing work - what a view to distract me!

Nice start to the Summer season - quite a steep little mountain!
ChrisH
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland