walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfect weekend in Kinloch Hourn

Perfect weekend in Kinloch Hourn

by weaselmaster » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne

Corbetts included on this walk: Buidhe Bheinn, Sgùrr nan Eugallt

Date walked: 19/04/2015

Time taken: 14.25 hours

Distance: 29.2 km

Ascent: 2794m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Perfect weekend in Kinloch Hourn

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:00 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Thanks for the insight on SnE. Interested to know what the going is like on the other side of the bealach from Coire Shubh, i.e. down towards Glen Barrisdale, any better/worse looking than Coire Shubh?

It looked quite similar, some craggy bits to avoid, similar steepness.
I think you could head to the bealach we were at and cross down into Glen Barrisdale without too much problem - would be quicker I think than going the long way round the east end of the glen from Loch Quioch though obviously more ascent involved :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:16 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
BoyVertiginous wrote:Thanks for the insight on SnE. Interested to know what the going is like on the other side of the bealach from Coire Shubh, i.e. down towards Glen Barrisdale, any better/worse looking than Coire Shubh?

It looked quite similar, some craggy bits to avoid, similar steepness.
I think you could head to the bealach we were at and cross down into Glen Barrisdale without too much problem - would be quicker I think than going the long way round the east end of the glen from Loch Quioch though obviously more ascent involved :lol:

Good stuff, was just a little concerned it might be too steep with big packs on but, ought to be fine. Better if dry I imagine and an option for the way back out rather than the walk in perhaps.

Cheers.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:01 pm

I passed you at about 7.30pm on Saturday night! ....would have stopped to say hi ...however was on a bit of a mission to get up to kinlochourn to walk in to Barrisdale ...preferably with as much as the daylight as was left!! ...so funny though that I instantly recognised the car and the 2 of you from this site!!!! ..you got great views over to Ladhar Bheinn ...I'm trying to look closely to see if I can see myself in your pics as that's where I was on Sunday! like you said it was a great day ...fantastic for views. Could see for miles and no haze :) hopefully If I see you 2 again I'll have more time to say hi!!!! Great shot of Alison on the cairn. :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:10 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:I passed you at about 7.30pm on Saturday night! ....would have stopped to say hi ...however was on a bit of a mission to get up to kinlochourn to walk in to Barrisdale ...preferably with as much as the daylight as was left!! ...so funny though that I instantly recognised the car and the 2 of you from this site!!!! ..you got great views over to Ladhar Bheinn ...I'm trying to look closely to see if I can see myself in your pics as that's where I was on Sunday! like you said it was a great day ...fantastic for views. Could see for miles and no haze :) hopefully If I see you 2 again I'll have more time to say hi!!!! Great shot of Alison on the cairn. :clap: :D

I think you must've been the one car that passed us that night - amazingly quiet road unlike the sunday
I'm sure we will cross paths again on a hill somewhere - do say hi!
Al
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Fantastic report and photos. I was up Blà Bheinn on the Saturday - what a day!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby mamoset » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Great TR and photo's there weasel :clap: :D . Shame its such a hike from home for me to get to that part of the Highlands :?
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:05 am

Jaw dropping :D It was a superb weekend, what a warm spell in April!

We were lucky, had a week off and enjoyed the blessings of sunshine until Wednesday. I have blood-blisters on my feet from walking :roll:

Both these Corbetts are real gems, SnE we did in winter and had to use crampons, but what a viewpoint. I remember I couldn't bring myself to get down into the glen... BB duo we climbed from Glen Shiel, using Malky's route. I loved that connecting ridge with all its lumps, bumps and lochans. Great to see you enjoyed it, too!

By the way, did you spot us on Sunday? Two tiny figures on the ridge across Loch Hourn, on Glenelg Corbetts? :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland